Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning styles and Testing

It is important to consider the various learning styles and do your best to try to address the needs of your students. It was interesting to review the various testing techniques and the objectives associated with each. I personally do not care for true/false questions because it is often very easy to misread (read into them) or misinterpret if they are not worded well. I have used modified true/false where a key word or phrase is identified and which can be changed to make the statement TRUE if it is FALSE as it is written. I feel this type of test question(statement) requires more of the student than to simply make a 50-50 GUESS at the answer, since the student will need to provide the correct term or phrase which makes it true.

I like your approach to True/False questions. I agree that sometime with True/False or Multiple Choice it is sometimes a guessing game/playing the odds for some students. However, these questions can be helpful when students receive a lot of information. For example, we use online drills for students and they need to receive over 90% before they move on to the next topic; they are presented in a Multiple Choice format. If the student needs to know the information more in depth or know the difference between two topics then the True/False method you described or fill-in would be more suitable.

Can't say that I am a fan of true / false. I like to have students express their learning by relating the answer to something in their career objective. When students take the time to think through how the answer can relate to their career field they seem more dedicated to the task of learning.

Sign In to comment