Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ED102

I just finished taking the ED 102 class. This class had a lot of information on motivating and engaging students, as part of student retention. I did not know that most nontraditional students are concerned about failing as they were out of school for a long time. This was eye opening to me. Some of the concepts described in the course, such as ensuring that I bring my real-life experiences into the classroom and make knowledge practical. That was great to see.

I try and add a few personal experiences to each class, it lets them know that we are human too and that we have had struggles as well.  It helps to motivate them and let them know that "hey, if they did it, I can do it."

I just finished the ED102 course and thought it was very good.  There are some things that we may not think about everyday that concerns the students very much.  They like to hear about our experiences and I like to hear their's and to pass them on to new students.  I have had a couple of students to come back to me and let me know that what we talked about in class is what they found waiting for them on the job or at the interview. 

While finding the time to dedicate to completing these courses is proving challenging, I am finding the content very helpful in challenging me to continue to assess my skills and competence regularly.

We can become so bogged down with the business of instruction, that it becomes all too easy to become demotivated and disillusioned. I really appreciate these courses, as for me, they have been constant reminders for me to check-in with myself.

One of the concepts is WRONG from a management perspective.  You will NEVER allow a gripe session to end without a resolution to some problem.  Even someone who just needs to "vent" the outcome is to give them the forum they think they are not getting and allow them to be heard.  OK. You've been heard.  Now, back to the lecture!  this works the same way with little children and spouses.  Let them whine a while and then get them back on track.  Employees are the same.  They will feel better if you let them be "heard".  Nothing has to change but that they will feel they have a forum.

We as professional educators are always evolving.  When we become complacent, the students and the field suffers as well.

I agree Othello, we as instructors have to embrace change.  If we dont we the students abilities tend to lack that spontanatity, that drive that they should have as they enter the field. 

I completed ED102 And found it very informative and am able to apply that to my classroom. What I liked best was learning about motivationg students, and also learning to re-focus as instructors.

This are great tools ,I will use them in the classroom.

Sign In to comment