Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubric For Lab

Hello Everyone,

I am so grateful to have all of you as a community of knowledge.  I have a challenge for which I need some input and help.  I am trying to create a Rubric for our weekly Lab Assessments.  I teach Surgical Technology and our lab classes are hands-on techniques.  We now use a check-off form which indicates "meets expectations" or "needs improvement".  ED101 has inspired me to move these very important "bones" of my students' futures to have more impact on them to practice and improve---I believe a Rubric grading is the answer.  I would love to work with anyone interested!  I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Lois McGrath CST/CSPDT

Louis,

If you set up the rubric for your lab as a 0-5 scale, with "0" being does not follow directions, does not perform as instructed, fails to keep sterile, fails to follow accepted procedures as outlined, then in incrementals, 1 would be a bit better, 3 would be meets expectations, performs as outlined, does the required work with only 1 major  error, etc., 4 would be goes above the requirements, performs at an elevated level of understanding and made only 1-2 minor errors,   etc., and 5 being goes above and beyond stated expectations, performs without errors, your rubric would be able to incorporate the hands-on work, and your students would get better feedback on their skills.   This is what we do at my school, and since i am eclectic in the courses i teach, having such a rubric is absolutely necessary to properly assess varying degrees of ability.

Thomas,

Thank you so much for helping me get off the ground.  I'm going to work on this during the upcoming week and I will definitely keep in touch with you. 

I don't know if there is a way for me to upload it for your critique......I will have to inquire. 

Speak with you soon and thanks again.

Lois

Sign In to comment