Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

General Safety Practices | Origin: LC110

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating a Safe CTE Learning Environment --> General Safety Practices

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

PPE enforcement on students and instructor knowledge of the equipment and teaching proper techniques to use equipment is key to a keeping a shop as safe as possible. 

There is so much crossover with safety in a classroom and using good classroom management.  Your facilities plan really should be integral to you classroom management plan.

I learned that our individual programs have safety systems in place but we don't have an overall system in place so that is what I will be working on.

The instructor must be present in the classroom at all times.  Keeping equipment operating proplerly is crucial.  There is no one main way to ensure safety; therefore, safety plans are crucial.

It is imperative to have regular inspections to identify potential hazzards. 

Instructing students on safety and ensuring that all students are following protocols at all times is the responsibility of the teacher. 

It is important to remember that the instructor will have the greatest influence over safety in the shop environment. I must insure that instructors are consisting following our safety procedures at all times with their students. 

Safe workers make safe spaces.Great point.

While PPE is important it is not as effective as many think. It is essential to stress the importance of continued safety measures even when PPE is in use. 

I really like the idea of having students do the "self-assessment" of how safe a project or work area is.  This not only forces them to do a good analysis of the present dangers, but also serves as a way for the instructor to asses their understanding of hazards.  The students may even point out something the instructor had overlooked.  

Sign In to comment