Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Prohibited Language

What surprised you as you read about language and information you can and cannot use when communicating with prospective students?

I am very careful about what I say when communicating with a prospective student so that they are not confused when they leave my office.

Phyllis,

We do have to be so careful Phyllis, and sometimes we can almost feel restricted in what can or cannot say! I think the best advice is to just be honest with the student about your program, it's length, it's cost, etc. and always refer to your catalog and/or website. It is also acceptable to tell a student "I don't know, but let me find out", as there are always support people (such as financial aid, your campus director or president, or your admissions director or supervisor) who are there to provide you with the information and support you need. Trainings such as this one will also help you to affirm what you can say and shows that you are really tuned in to what is going on in your department.

Donna Guisado

It seems I have to be very careful when making general statements to student questions and be careful of giving information on something I am unsure about.

Victor ,

Yes, we do have to be careful that we are giving the correct information to our prospective students. Usually, if you can refer them to the catalog, or to the appropriate department that handles the area they have questions about, that is your best bet.

Generally, we want to be sure that we are not providing students with any false statements or misleading them about the programs your school provides. Checking on information before you respond, or letting the most knowledgeable person respond is best.

Donna Guisado

I have been in this industry for close to 10 years and what surprises me the most was how widely used this now banned language and information was being used. In many cases I remember seeing the most obvious versions of this offense. Few years back I read a sign saying, "Go to School=Start a Career".

Leonid,

Isn't it amazing? I've been in for over 25 years, and the changes in all areas have been tremendous. Again, it is mostly about protecting the consumer (our student) so it is understandable. But the changes have certainly been life-changing for many in our sector.

Donna Guisado

I was surprised when reading that you can't guarantee the time frame it will take a student to complete the program due to the fact that they may have to take a course over, etc.

It is important to know what you can an cannot talk about as an admission representative. You cannot be all things to all people. Know your role an feel ok saying 'I cannot assist you in that specifically, but I know someone who can' That is extremely helpful!

Sarah,

Yes, there are a number of reasons why providing the student with a guarantee is just not a good idea. There are a number of reasons that can make that date change over time.

Donna Guisado

I'm surprised by the fact that i can't give generalized information about salary expectations. The information i usually gives is in a range and based on the Department of Labor statistics. I usually also say it depends on the location and type of facility they are applying at.

Lore,

The reason we want to be cautious about the salary information is because we cannot provide any guarantee or give the prospective student any "promise" about the possibility of salary. Giving the statistics you are giving, or referring the student to that website, is your best practice.

Donna Guisado

I feel that my organization spends the time and energy in training our staff about what we can and cannot say to prospective students/students. I was not surprised to read about the regulations that we constantly adhere to.

In admissions every word we say must be able to be proven true, we have to be very careful in what we say. Do to the fact that the admissions department can't mislead a prospective student for enrolledment. If that does happen the student will have trouble finding a job or dropout and will not be able to pay back the loans.

my organization spends the time and energy in training our staff about what we can and cannot say to prospective students or students I was not surprised to read about the regulations that we constantly adhere to.

Patricia ,

That's so good to hear. So many of the schools in our sector have received a bad image from the media. If they could only see good schools like yours that really make sure we are doing the right thing, it would make all the difference!

Donna Guisado

As I read through the different criteria I was not so much surprised as confused. In an educational arena were a students education is important it appears that steps to protect the rights of the student are only important when it comes to vocational education. I agree with almost all the requirements that I have read and dealt with in the years in the educational system. My only concern is what about the rest of the educational system. Why aren't they being held accountable to costs, ability to be employed.

Jeff,

That is the 64 million dollar question!! There are many for-profit schools that would LOVE to know that very same thing Jeff.

It is a long, mostly political answer, but the bottom line is probably best answered by the "for-profit". Many, many, MANY years ago, there were...unfortunately...some for-profit schools that did take advantage of the system, and really left an ugly mark on the schools that were doing good things for the students. So, the regulations for schools that make a profit and use Title IV funding are held to a higher standard, and what often seems unfair.

I always say...great! We'll keep on providing our students with a hands-on, GREAT education AND we'll help them find a job, too! I truly believe that many of the regulations have made for-profit schools even better.

Really impressive that you notice that Jeff.

Donna Guisado

What surprised me most was that we should not be quoting the estimated completion date or graduation date due to students have to redo classes or having to drop or take a leave of absence.

Susan Orosco

Susan,

It's true. You want to be very careful in making any promises about completion dates. Play it safe and give them a date range and tell them why, in general, this is done. There are many things that might change that actual date, like the two you mention. Important not to make promises that we just cannot guarantee to keep!

Donna Guisado

Sign In to comment