Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Accreditation and Regulatory Oversight

As you learned about the regulatory agencies that oversee your institution, what did you discover that you didn't know before?

We were unaware about the types of Specialized Accrediting Bodies "Regional and National" accrediting bodies and there agencies.

I didnt know that we had a state licensing board publication or admissions association. These two discoveries will be very helpful.

Martin ,

Important differences to understand Martin, especially during today's regulatory climate. Good take-aways!

Donna Guisado

Cynthia ,

Yes, and the state has very specific guidelines on what your enrollment agreement and catalog have to say. I would suggest that you become familiar with them, as they can also help you to understand the things you can and cannot say to a prospective student.

Donna Guisado

I have seen plenty of online advertising stating that these schools have "small class sizes" How do you substantiate or prove that the classes are in fact small -and compared to what other class sizes? I know for instance that in our school, directors do not want more than 15 students per starting session. Is this considered a large class or small?

Giovanni,

Great question, and they really cannot substantiate or prove the small class size claim. As an instructor, I consider 15 to be a fair size class. Very often, different accrediting bodies, such as nursing, have very strict requirements for the student to faculty ratios that are allowed. Being familiar with these different requirements can often answer the question of whether or not a class is large or small.

I think it is better to stay clear of making claims about class sizes for the very reasons you state here: compared to what?

Donna Guisado

That accrediting agencies fall into several different categories, regional, national, specialized, and the US Department Of Ed, if your institution is Title IV approved ... which we are.

It is not just one agency that oversees us but a lot of different ones. We need to understand what rules apply to each,

Shirley,

Many of the rules are the same; and many are not.

It is important to keep up with the regulatory requirements of all agencies.

Donna Guisado

I didn't realize that so many details of what must and can't be said are governed by regulatory agencies. This is very good information to keep in mind as I interact with prospective students.

Katie,

As you are new to the sector, it is amazing what is controlled, isn't it? It's important to keep this all in mind and continually update yourself.

Donna Guisado

I was not aware of the existence of so many different regulatory boards and associations at the state level. I am sure their publication will be very helpful.

I learned that there are networking opportunities and associations that can provide valuable information about laws and regulations, beyond the requirements of accreditation and the state.

Kristie,

CAPPS is a great one to connect with. They have all California legislature on their radar, and have great resources.

Donna Guisado

I had always known that catalogs, websites, representatives, etc. need to give 100% factual information. What I did not realize is how specific wordplay comes into action...such as certain words or phrases are not permitted when giving information on your institution, and this is all according to the regulatory agencies that govern it. Also, certain information must be very specific (word-for-word) as noted by the respective regulatory agency or agencies.

I also did not realize there were so many associations, blogs, etc. for higher ed administrators. Those that were given in the module have been bookmarked for future resources!

James,

Isn't it amazing how "word-particular" the laws have become? Especially those governing the private sector. Pay special attention to the BPPE requirements for admissions and enrollment agreements. They want it word-for-word from their regulations!

Keeping in contact with the associations is a great help. Glad you have found some useful resources in that regard.

Have a great 4th of July!

Donna Guisado

I was not aware that there are different boards, blogs, social media or other publications available for admissions department, this will be beneficial for me. Also its important to understand what rules apply to each accreditation or licensing overseeing our institution and following the correct rules that apply.

Jacqueline,

Admissions is truly on the "front line" of providing correct information to the public. When you think about it, you literally ARE the face of the institution! So it is vital that you are as up to date as possible using those boards, blogs, etc. I'm glad you found those useful. As for accreditation, you are right: you simply MUST understand the rules and regulations of those governing bodies. And they often seem to change almost each and every day! Very glad that discovering this was useful for you!

Donna Guisado

Sign In to comment