Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Admissions Procedures

What are the steps you need to follow when contacting and eventually enrolling a student? What kind of checklist is available to help ensure you are following each step correctly?

Interview is a good place to start. See why they enrolling and then give them information on how to enroll.

Victor ,

Yes, finding out about what motivates the prospective student to pursue a career in the field is the best way to go.

Donna Guisado

I like to find out what brought them to our school. If a web search, what were they searching for and why? What is their background and what would they eventually like to accomplish? Then, if we fit their criteria, my role is to help them accomplish their objectives.

Dan,

Very important questions Dan. This can definitely help you to guide them in the right direction, not necessarily "sell" them on a program. From an academic standpoint, they are far likelier to succeed and finish the program if you take the approach you are.

Donna Guisado

First, I interview the perspective student to find out if you have any current or previous work experience in the field. This is important to determine where in our program they should begin. Then find out if they meet the basic application requirements such as: being a high school grad or having a GED, being legally available for employment in the United States. If they meet these requirements, then set up an appointment to take their entrance tests. All of theses steps are listed in the catalog and in the addendum to the catalog along with the course schedules and fees. They are also listed on our website.

In marketing, my job is to understand student profile and study past surveys to see what can be improved. In marketing to them, I follow guidelines on language and making sure that we don't use superlatives, provide proper disclosures and help the student make an informed career decision and choice.

In my first interview I like to find out what brought them to our school. If a web search, what were they searching for and why? What is their background and what would they eventually like to accomplish? Then, if we fit their criteria, my role is to help them accomplish their objectives.

Patricia ,

This is exactly how the admissions reps of today need to approach what they are doing. You are more of an "agent of change" than sales. I believe our prospective students really want to change their lives, and that our admissions reps are the KEY to them accomplishing that!

Nice work Patricia!

Donna Guisado

I interview the perspective student to evaluate their qualifications, past experiences and objectives. Additionally, I explain academic programs and answer any inquiries regarding applications, enrollment, courses based on school catalog and enrollment agreement. I record the information into a database and follow-up to update statuses and answer any new questions.

Everything starts in the in the interview process. Its important to gather as much information as possible to navigate what would be the best fit for each individual student.

Our institution has an Admissions Checklist that outlines the Admissions requirements and information. The checklist is available in the catalog and application packet of information. We review this information with each student throughout the admissions process.

Kristie,

That is a great practice. To have that all available for students too is so convenient.

Donna Guisado

It is my job to not only provide information but to ask crucial questions to help the prospective student determine if we are the right school/program for them.

Karen,

It's great to hear that you have that perspective. It makes all the difference in the student's success.

Donna Guisado

We have all of our admissions requirements available on our website and in our catalog, and have this information known and/or readily available when speaking with prospective students about various programs.

The basic steps for going over prospective student admissions are:

1. Does the prospective student have the necessary educational requirements for his/her program of choice?
2. English proficiency requirements?
3. Does the student fit any other requirements for the program? (ex: physical requirements for program training for a specific field, or meets the requirements for a licensing exam).
4. Is the student aware of the various Student Services offered?
5. Is the student aware of any Financial Aid programs available to them?
6. Have all of the student's questions been answered? And if not, have you put them in touch with the appropriate person who can help them?

I found the Admissions chapter of this module to be a great checklist resource that can be adapted to fit any university situation.

That's great. Sounds like you have everything you need to get the student enrolled in the right program.

Donna

We have the admissions checklist for our prospective students to review, as they would know what to submit for the admission to the school. After we schedule the appointment with the student, we also have the campus visit agenda for them before their visit, so they would know who they would meet, and how long they will stay on campus. We also send out the school catalog (PDF and the link) and school calendar to let student have a through knowledge of our school and our program. When students come in, they need to take the entrance test, and we'll evaluate the test, and decide if the student is a qualified candidate for the program. We keep improving our enrollment paperwork and go over the enrollment agreement with students. On orientation day, we have agenda and the admissions checklist again to let them submit the required documents and fees to ensure the enrollment process is succeeded.

PING,

Sending the visit documents to your students before they visit is a great idea, Ping. It holds the school accountable to the student to make sure they see and experience everything they need to.

Donna Guisado

First set the appointment, interview the prospective student, find out their goals, ambitions and motivations and find out what brought them to our school. Ask about the previous work experience (since were a vocational school) and find out which program will suit him/her best. Once the interview process, provide a tour of the campus and a visit with financial aid. If prospective student is interested he will have to come back for a 2nd visit bring back all the documentation. If all goes well with F/A we have an admissions checklist before enrollment to assure we have acquired all the necessary signatures and documentation. Final step, our director will meet with our student to welcome them and sign the enrollment agreement.

Sign In to comment