Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Your Institution's Catalog

What did you learn about your institution that you were not aware of before this course?

I learned that our institution follows far more regulatory practices than I had previously known. So many agencies, so many codes and laws. Obviously designed to protect the consumer, and that's just fine with me. It does make me think though, why so much "caution tape" around Private Post-Secondary? What about state schools and public schools, these rules and bi-laws should be used to regulate all schools.

Leonid,

You hit the nail right on the head! It is unfortunate that in many cases, private post-secondary schools are often surrounded by "caution tape". (Well put!) It's a long, sometimes ugly story as to why, but there are many private post-secondary schools who just take those laws, rules, and regulations, put them into practice and become really great institutions of learning!

It's great that you have recognized how many regulatory agencies our sector answers to. Just by being aware of this, it will improve your performance at work. Especially with your attitude about it being good to protect the consumer shows that you have a great understanding of the why.

I would encourage you to seek out information on your national accreditors website, on the BPPE website and on CAPPS website. There is lots of information provided to us to keep us in the know as to regulations and law. Besides the fact that it sounds like your institution is working hard, as many of us are, to continue to do what is right for our students!

Donna Guisado

Prior to this course, I thought the enrollment agree was just something put together by the school to hand to students that explained our "Rules." I had no idea that it required exact wordage, and had to contain specific things. Now that I go back and read it, I see that all the requirements are there and it all makes sense.

Pegah,

You would be amazed at all of the behind the scenes things that go on to make sure a school stays in compliance. It is so important for you to understand that there is truly a reason for every thing a school does; what's in its catalog, what's on the website, the enrollment agreement, advertising, even down to what we actually say to students. Not only does your school have to answer to it's own managers, they must answer to federal regulations, state regulations, national and or regional accreditation, and even programmatic accreditation in some cases.

There are many, many standards, rules and regulations a school must follow. But when they do, it can turn out to be a great experience for the student.

Donna Guisado

That the admissions dept., and most other institution departments should be regularly updated and aware of institution requirements, policies, and changes, so that everyone is 'in the loop.'

Similar to another participant's response... I too now have a better understanding of the "caution tape" with our type of College.
Also, I was pleased to realize that some of the procedures that my institution implements even go above the minimum requirements. For example, during a first interview/tour we proactively review our performance fact sheet. And then again during the enrollment appointment, once a student has been accepted, the fact sheet is reviewed, initialed and signed during the enrollment process. I have found this to be a helpful tool for prospective students while comparing Colleges and then again a helpful tool in reminding the accepted student to do what it takes to complete their education, graduate, achieve their goal and work in the industry...just as the others did who came before them. :-)

Kimberly,

Excellent feedback about your organization Kimberly. You're right much of this goes above and that is just great!

Donna Guisado

Here are some things I learnt that I didn't know prior to this course:

1.) The disclosures that must be included.
2.) Marketing guidelines and phrases/words that can't be used such as "state of the art" and "cutting edge".

Those are just 2 that I can think of right now.

we are updated by our Director every time something changes. It's very important to stay posted with new changes so we know exactly what to say and what not to say.

Wanda,

Your organization sounds like the communication is great. If they have a catalog on line, does that get updated frequently as well? Our students today are definitely looking at websites before they come to see us...wouldn't you agree?

Donna Guisado

I was not aware that my institutions catalog have to specific wording as other schools. I thought that was specific to our location and facility.

Arielle,

The state...and very often institutional and programmatic accrediting agencies...are VERY particular about wording! They will closely examine the wording on an institution's website, catalog, enrollment agreement; anything that would be provided to a prospective student.

Donna Guisado

Our institution was recently visited by a regulatory agency. We learned our Catalog lacked some verbiage required by the agency. We know have weekly meetings regarding all regulatory agencies.
We created a living document that is available to all staff members to view. It is important that all staff/faculty is well versed in our industry.
We do have more "caution tape" than the Public sector.

Debbie,

Yes, its unfortunate that more "caution tape" is required. It is actually a common finding to have catalog with missing verbiage. But these visits can often precipitate some great action on the part of the institution, and it sounds like your's has undertaken some great strides, what with weekly meetings, live documents, etc.

Donna Guisado

Sign In to comment