Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have a hard time being generous when it comes to tardiness. With no phone call, any explanation would seem insufficient. If it was an emergency then more than likely, the candidate would have to cancel the appointment and re-schedule. Despite the fact that a person's qualifications may be outstanding, being late for an interview probably indicates a pattern of irresponsibility.

Jeannie,
I, too, feel that this policy is harsh. I have said many times that there are legitimate, acceptable reasons for tardiness. Alerting the hiring manager of the anticipated tardiness is a must. Failure to figure out in advance how long the travel time will be is not an acceptable excuse. In the end, it is the hiring manager's decision regarding how to handle this kind of situation.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

susan,
I like your characterization of tardiness for an interview as "a pattern of irresponsibility." That is so descriptive. The behavior at this highly critical time could be predictive of future behaviors. If, however, the candidate calls, has a legitimate, unavoidable excuse, and is a top candidate in meeting the qualifications for the position, there might be reason to bend the rule. It should be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I would still do the interview. However if this person was to be accepted for employment this topic would come up at this time. We are all late at one time or another it just can't be a habit.

Davida,
Tardiness for an interview could very well be predictive of future performance. It would want to make certain the reason for being late first. There are unavoidable reasons that can occur which should be factored in. If you are filling a position for which you have an abundance of candidates, you might take a hard line with this candidate. If the opposite is true, you might want to explore the issue further.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

Sharon,
If the candidate is under serious consideration, a conversation regarding promptness needs to occur. There can be a legitimate reason why this happened and you as the hiring manager need to know what it is. If there is no explanation, I would scratch this candidate from consideration.

Dr. Patricia Kapper

I have to agree wiuth Jason. If the person calls and notifys me he/she is running late and if time permits, would still offer interview or reschedule. If there was no communication by the candidate - they would not be considered any longer

Alonzo,
I agree, given the number of unanticipated instances that could develop, providing a reasonable extension is a compassionate and reasonable reaction.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment