Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I feel that if you have the perfect candidate who has the perfect skills and personality just wrong attire is totally coachable you can always get new attire you cannot get a new personality

Stanley,
The talent and skills the candidate brings to the job are more critical than the way they dress. That being said, if there is an "official" dress code that others adhere to, your suggestion of coaching should definitely take place before an offer is made. Clearly explaining elements of the culture is important for any potential new employee and attire shouldn't be an obstacle to their acceptance of the company's cultural guidelines, if it is, you may have to extend your search. I agree that you can address this through coaching, but it's best to get it clear up front.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Stanley,
Attire is clearly not the determinant of a person's skill set and whether or not you hire someone who wears the wrong attire, depends primarily on the culture of your organization. If the culture matches what he/she is wearing, great; however if it isn't, studies have shown hiring someone "out of the norm" will have a negative impact on others in the organization and impacts productivity. Whether or not the person is "coachable" is a risky decision, once they are hired, your "coaching" may be perceived as discriminatory and create other issues. Studies have shown that personal attire reflects how a person feels about themselves and may actually impact their personal productivity. You can draw your own conclusions; however, the pendulum is beginning to swing back to more "business like" dress in most organizations, particularly those that have direct customer interfaces. Generally, if you describe the culture and "dress code" to any intelligent skilled individual, before the hiring decision is made, he/she will decide if their choice of attire is a higher priority than the job. If they choose the former, your hiring decision is easy.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

This could be a factor if the position applied for is in the admissions or financial aid area. When dealing with the general public and parents it is imperative to look professional and make a good first impression. I would make sure to check references carefully before hiring. I would rather err on the side of caution with personal appearance. For a more internal position such as faculty it is not as critical with the exception of personal grooming and cleanliness. I would ensure that the candidate understands the dress policy before making an official offer.

Kenneth,
This is an excellent and balanced response to the Forum question. Personally, I beleive faculty should be expected to reflect the dress for the profession(s) graduates will be entering. My experience has repeatedly demonstrated that faculty, as role models, have more influence on students than anyone else in the organization; therefore, there should be an expectation for them to reflect proper attire.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Agreed... I am currently in the Hiring Faculty course and consider that to be most appropriate...

Ken

Kenneth,
That's terrific, thanks Ken and Happy New Year!
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Caron,
I see your point; however, for an interview, conventional wisdom is that attire is a reflection of how an individual feels and presents themselves. It has been demonstrated through several workforce studies that people who come to an interview dressed inappropriately, i.e. casual (in a broad sense),tend to have more "casual attitude" toward their work performance. If an individual doesn't take the time to check on the company's dress code and dress a step above, then I would factor that into the decision process. Like other aspects of personnel management, all factors need to be considered and ultimately, the hiring manager determines if the person is a fit for the organization's culture and the position. Depending on the position and its interface with the public, potential students, parents, advisory boards, etc. this standard could be flexible to a point.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment