Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using the Forum

This forum is not facilitated by a faculty member. The intention of the forum is to allow you to interact with other course participants - career school professionals who have the same interests as you. You can start a new discussion thread on any topic related to this course or participate in any ongoing discussions. Go ahead, post a question and/or share your knowledge and experiences with your peers. Let us create an active learning community where we can all learn from each other.

Note that the discussions in this forum occur in an asynchronous fashion. So please don't expect a reply right away. The best way to track the discussions is to add them to "My Threads". This option is available for each discussion thread. When you add a thread to "My Threads", you will receive an email copy of each posted message that is related to that thread. If you make a post, that thread is automatically added to "My Threads". You can manage your discussion thread subscriptions via a link that appears on the homepage of each forum.

I feel as managers we all need to take a look at our delegation practices. Many times it is easier to say "I will just do it myself or I can do it myself in a faster time period". Unfortunately, we are not developing our team by doing this. I feel the stronger my team is that I am managing, the better my efficiency and team management skills become.

I agree. We are all tempted to "do it ourselves, it's quicker than explaining it". We need to delegate not only to get projects done but also to promote an employees sense of being part of the team. I learned alot from this course and plan to put it to good use.

Many times it is easier to say "I will just do it myself or I can do it myself. Unfortunately, we are not developing our team by doing this.
It is important for everyone on the team to feel that they are contributing

The information that I learned from delegating help me out tremendously. I usely have difficulty asking my staff to do things because I am very anal about how I want things done. If it is not done exactly how I picture it in my mind I get aggervated and frustrated and ended up doing it over. I really like learning to put things in writing so that my staff can understand exactly what I want and there can be no miscommunication. I also need to learn how to remain calm when mistakes are made. This was a very interesting and helpful training session.

thank you for all the information.

Thanks for all the helpful information. I'll be able to implement this in my classes daily.

Thank you all for the input

Not too bad; at least recognizes the need for diversity among staff & team. MRA program more effective in recognizing the individual's attributes such as "time teller" vs. "watch builder"; closure needs based on actual person; and ability to take on complicated tasks quickly, etc. e.g. Kirt, knowing Brock's profile is a highly goal focused "authoritarian" type - AND that Brock also has an over-the-top quick intelligence as a high rate of learning curve, can delegate very broad and HIGH LEVEL tasks to him versus a Group Four type of profile like Betty's who requires much much more "closure" than Brock.

The point being that Betty (more of a 'watch builder') is just as valuable a team member as Brock in that once her (much greater) "closure" needs are fulfilled she can handle many many detailed tasks over and over again with a great deal of personal satisfaction and feeling of "loyalty" for the organization; and while Brock (more of a 'time teller') is able to innovate and create large scale implementation; but will very much need employees like Betty to handle detailed, repetitive daily tasks.

Glen O'

Excellent point,no one can do it all,all of the time.

Sign In to comment