Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Over loaded

I really like what was said about taking on a task or not taking on a task ! Not taking on a task in some organizations most likely means when cutting back comes you will be the first to go! So what do you do?

The other result is being someone who is seen as submitting mediocre work because you have been stretched too thin. I would suggest being honest and direct when too much begins to pile up but offering alternatives for completion. Maybe requesting a project be split so you can still help in its completion or inquire to any flexibility in the deadline to allow you to stagger your other responsibilities.

Ed, I agree. Being a task hog not only causes that person stress, but also alienates them from others, and doesn't allow others to gain experience and grow.

Honesty is the best policy in this situation. Telling senior management that your team is not able to handle a task, or asking the question of which task doesn't get done sometimes is a good way to indicate that time and resource management are very important to you.

In the end, you have to work with what you have. Being a yes man will get you in dutch because of lack of performance. Might as well be honest if you can't get it done and then, rather than take the hit and show that you can't.

-R

Good point Jeff, in terms of thew 'task hog'. But yes, I also agree with Ed about stretched too thin. Sometimes yes, it is best to be open and honest at the time of being given a task.

This is one of the hardest things that I struggle with for my department. The pressure is so great at times that you feel that you can't say no, but the end result can be detrimental if you don't. I agree with you Rick, honesty is the best policy when not being able to complete a task.

I hear you. Being able to say no demonstrates that you're maintaining good time management. I have found that if they get a 'no' answer, but also get a recourse, people are usually understanding about it. Sometimes that also gets overused, particularly when people just don't want to go into 110%-mode. But if you align expectation to honesty that they can see, I've found, the most reasonable won't have any issue with you being unable to give a 'yes' answer. :)

Cheers,

-R

Sign In to comment