Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

face to face

...Another result of our dependence on technology. We are creating a world where we can't really interact in personal situations. Facebook, My Space, that space and all spaces keep us from experiencing real emotional connections.
Interpersonal communication is going to be lost in the cyberspace of technology--why, I've even heard that, now, when young people want to 'date'...they do it via a text message...How can you hear the intonations, or the expressions of a human voice like this??
Has anyone read E.M. Forster's "The Machine Stops"?
This short story was written in 1909 and he hits the nail on the head of what we are eventually heading to...check it out sometime. It's quite revealing about our very culture today.
No wonder we can't think critically or any other way...we have machines to think for us...including our not so smart phones...wouldn't have one if it was free!

Vallorie,
The human factor must remain central to our instructional process in relation to your comments. Technology is still machine based and serves a purpose but the interaction between humans is still a needed and sought after process that we need to develop in our students. Nine out of ten jobs are lost because of the inability to get along in the workplace.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Yes, this was what I meant...the human factor gets lost, though, so often when we (anyone, not just students) are so dependent on cell phones, iPads, etc...We don't seem to have human interaction as often with the increase of every new technological toy. It bothers me that some are so addicted to their phone that a real conversation is lost in cyberspace...Your point was exactly what I was saying. I agree we need to develop face to face interaction. The problem is how can we do it when technology keeps growing and separating us?

Vallorie,
I think your question is still in the process of being answered because technology is coming so fast and in so many different forms we have not yet developed coping strategies in relation to them. So we need to continue to talk and explore how we can keep the human factor in the information exchange process.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

ONE EXERCISE I LIKE TO USE IS WORKING ON SOLVING A PROBLEM WITHOUT TECHNOLOGY. IN OTHER WORDS GOING ABOUT IT THE OLD FASHION WAY. PHYSICALLY RESEARCHING THRU ACTUAL LIBRARY, ETC. WORKING TOOLS.

ALICIA,
Like your style. This gives a completely different perspective to the students when they have to use shoe leather and effort beyond just a quick internet search to find something out. This greatly increases the value they attach to the information they acquire.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Vallorie,

Wow.... you hit the nail on the head. I have had cases with young adult students that can't tell time on a real clock. They rely on the phone to tell them. What is even worse is their inability to communicate with others face to face. A real social retardation. I teach culinary, and in one case I had six students in a class. When the class was nearly done for the day, I excused then all to the dining room for a lecture wrap-up. When I entered the dining room I found the six students, all at different tables and all on the phone. Not one student talking to another. Hmmmmm? Not good.

I am older than most of my peers, and a little more " old fashion " so I'm told. With students lost in their technology, its crucial that we are able to help them learn to find the off switch,and help them learn how to communicate. I would have never guessed nine out of ten.

Craig,
You make a good point about the need to be able to communicate effectively. Good communication no matter where it is practiced will help with personal growth. I collect mistakes that individuals make while in interviews in relation to good communication. I share these stories with my students for laughs as well as impact. It is amazing how easy it is for a person to mess up an interview due to the lack of good judgement and poor communication.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I am working on learning enough technology to take advantage of it. One of my priorities is helping students recognize that time with a "machine" is balanced by time outside in the fresh air. Is it possible to experience these aspects of life as complementary? Limiting ourselves, either way, might not be the best way to a rich future.

Paula,
You make a good point about the need for balance between technology and fresh air. Too much of any one thing can reduce the results that are achieved. When problem solving sometimes it is good to just walk away and do some thinking about the problem in another setting. Then when you come back your mind is fresh and you can formulate some possible solutions and move forward with problem solving.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment