Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Timing is very important factor for the critical thinking.

The important idea that I learned in this module is timing and flow of information to the student, giving to much information and less time for processing of the information is not to good for the critical thinking.

abdul.gardezy,
Yes, this is very important. Excellent point. Thank you for sharing your helpful insight.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

In our program timing works against us. For example, my classes only last 2 weeks, so I think student have issues with critical thinking. Too much information and too little time, not enough time to absorb. So how can I improve this?

Mindi,
There is no 'silver bullet.' If your evaluation is accurate, it sounds like the correct approach is curriculum revision. When the horse is running at top speed, beating harder does not speed him up - it only worsens a bad situation.

I would assume that in our case of having "short" class times, we could rely on assignments and case studies that can better assist the students to absorb the information being delivered.

Said,
Yes, assignments and case studies are very useful to assist learning. However, relying on them may not be enough. You probably need to accomplish informal formative assessments to ensure 'absorption' of the information in an appropriate manner to facilitate best learning.

I agree that 2 weeks may be two short, however how much time is spent outside the class in review of the information that needs to be covered?

This Forum also made me analyze my method and timing of delivery of information. As a type of "consultant" at my school, I am allowed 1-1.5 hours every 6 weeks to deliver important information to the students. I often worry that I rush through the material in order to get as much information delivered as possible in a short amount of time. It's clear now that I should cut down on the amount of information so that I can ensure that the students have enough processing time to absorb what I do get across.

Ria,
This sounds like an excellent self-evaluation. Thank you for sharing your insights.

In my classroom I often give cooking demos and or discuss a technique of making a sauce and will go into full detail. Then i will pause for a second and place my students into small groups and see if they can find the solution to my discussion and continue on with the recipe. I find that this really engages the student and allows them to think critically for themselves.

I agree with this. It helps to give assignments to the students and then quickly review them the next day for clarification and further discussions. Plus, it aids in the retention of the information.

Sign In to comment