Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Decoding Process

I find it is helpful to use tactics to help adults students decode information that is being presented to them.

However, when working with adults, instructors are challenged with making sure we continue to provided them with self-confidence. We must continue to build our students up and help improve upon the decoding methods to retain medical terms and vocabulary.

DeSharn,
You make a key point with your comment about helping adult learners to develop self confidence in their abilities to be successful as returning students. Early success in the course really helps with this so I plan several activities early on in the course where the adult learners can use their life experiences to complete the activities. This really helps them with their self confidence and getting settled into the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Being an instructor and an adult student I can definitely say that confidence building is key to being a successful adult learner. If an adult student realizes that they can do it, most often they will do it.

Scott,
If a student lacks confidence in his or her ability to learn then it is going to be tough for them to be successful in the class. The more we can provide support to them and help them expand their confidence level the more successful they are going to be in their programs.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I ask the students to develop outlines or 3x5 cards with procedures to practice for the real world. Also, developing good study habits that are repetitive and helpful for each specific student. The students learning styles are all different and so developing the right plan for studying is essential.

Nicole,
These are great resources for your students to have. You are helping them to develop skills that they will be using throughout their college careers but in their work world as well. Knowing how to pick out the key topics and concepts is a great skill set to have no matter what field you are in.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I always emphatized to the students that they need to had confidence on themselves. They need to expand their knowledge and absorb everything taught in class to become more successful.

Nelida,
This is a key point in terms of showing your students the value of what is being taught. They need to see how the content is going to help them achieve their career goals and move them forward in their development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment