Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Music, laughter as guides to remembering

When I was in massage therapy school, two of the greatest things for assisting memory I ever fell over was the power of music to aid in memory retention, and, the power of laughter to help memory recall. Classmates would crack a joke about a topic for discussion (especially in anatomy and physiology) or, someone would sing a song that would seem appropriate to the subject matter at hand. Come testing time, remembering the music, or, the joke, always made recall of the materials so much easier

Jackie,
Like these two learning strategies and I really like the fact that they are fun for students. Nothing says learning can't be fun as well as informative.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I teach a Costume Evolution class which goes through every single century, from cave men to present. Because of the amount of information, and since most students aren't so intrigued about this subject anyways; I do try to bring in some element of fun to lighten the mood and create a better environment. I wish I could find a a way to bring more laughter and music too, I think this would help.

Cristina,
I would look around for examples or role playing you could create that would be fun and help to reinforce the content the students need to acquire. Also, talk with some elementary teachers and learn about some of the techniques they use in their teaching. (Remember adults are just taller kids so you can use many of the same techniques just make them age appropriate.) Once you have some of these ideas you can then create activities that will be fun and humorous for the students that help them learn what is required. Role playing is a big one that can be used in setting like this. Good luck.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I also like making humor a tool in recalling certain key notes in my lectures. It does help come test time. Thanks

Karl,
I am convinced that a smile and a laugh makes learning go better.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I could not agree more! I currently am enrolled in an alternative medicine course in which we learned about music therapy. The fact that music helps people retain information is great. It's an added bonus if the same song can ease feelings of anxiety.

Laughter is my favorite teaching tool. Not only does it help students retain information, but also can help with comradarie. Laughter is a great way for students to become familiar with not only each other but the instructor as well.

Kaitlin,
I like to use both in my teaching for the reasons you list. Students like the music and how it sets the tone for a lot of what we do. Laughter is a language that draws people together and so I use it a lot in my classes, plus it makes me feel good as well.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The release of happy chemicals happen when we experience joy, and when someone has fun while learning those help them to reduce stress and retain memories.

Amber,
This is why having fun while learning can be of real value. I know I am more focused when I am enjoying what I am doing and learning.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Students frequently come up with "chants" or "sayings" to help them remember the correct order of a procedure. We have picked up some of these and continued to use them with the next class.

Brenda,
Students have a lot of fun with these. I encourage them because I find them fun and as you mention they are great ways to remember material.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

In teaching culinary arts, I often use humor when discussing difficult or mundane processes. I usually will tell a story about how I screwed something up in the past and had to learn the hard way. This makes the students laugh and hopefully they won't repeat my past mistakes.

Philip,
Students really like it when their instructors tell stories like this. It shows that we all were where they were at one time and that we all made our share of mistakes and survived to the point we now get to share our experiences with them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have had great success in using music phases students know to recall information. It often adds a lighter touch to important information.

Terrie,
This is a great way to teach content and I know it increases the retention of key material. Not to mention it is fun as you commented.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment