Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Retaining information is the goal

Hello,
Retaining information is the key. In order for the student to apply the knowledge they have to be able to retain and recall.

We know for a fact that some students retain information better than others.In order for them to succeed, they have to work at it longer,like repetition,repetition.It would be like runners who have to cover 5 miles, some will go faster than others, but eventually they will all get to the arrival point.

Hi Jacky,
This is a good example of how students learn. The key is finishing the race and acquiring the needed knowledge and skills. There are different paces in getting there but arriving at the finish line is essential.
Gary

no matter what the course content is,it is critical that you show the students the why and the when, not just how to do something, making them realize the importance of the material.

Hi Kenneth,
Right on. Without the why and when there is a big gap in terms of value. If they know the why and when then they will start to see the ROI of the class.
Gary

George,

I would agree that knowing how to recall and apply information is key as well.

As we provide the content of our studies, having various means to apply this repetition is essential. For example, it's possible to develope ways/methodologies so that one can repeat the same assignment but do so in different ways. Meaning, you can arrive at the same point but from different directions.

I was happy to see guided notes included in this lecture. I have had many students come to me with problems "studying," so I make guided notes a part of all of my lectures now. In addition to helping them retain the information from class, they can review the notes before their medical assisting board exam.

Susan,
Thank you for sharing your experience with guided notes. I know this information will be of value to other instructors. Guided notes are so valuable to students, especially olde students that have been out of school for a while and have lost some of their skill in note taking.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment