Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Martha,
I do the same with my students and it is always a fun time in the class. They students are really creative when it comes to coming up with mnemonics. We even have contests to select the most creative ones.
Gary

I really used to like acronyms. However, I am beginning to get the feeling that they are being over used. With the new technology that has been enhanced by computer usage, there are so many acronyms out there that some have multiple meanings. For example, CDs could be compact discs or Certificates of Deposit.

I like that! I am sure that it helps the students remember. I hope I can remember it to use in my classes.

I like that! I am sure that it helps the students remember. I hope I can remember it to use in my classes.

William,
Good point. At times I have to stop and have the acronyms explained to me in relation to the field in which I am working that day. So as we teach the use of them we have to remind our students to keep their audiences in mind when they use them in a professional setting.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

William,
I use them a lot and they really help my students remember the critical content. One of the fun activities for my students is to come up with a mnemonic for certain content. They treat it like a game.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Setting table I have them make a B with their left hand "that's where the bread and butter plate go and a D with their right hand "thats where the drinks go~on the right.

Shannon,
Fun simple way to burn these essential concepts into the working memories of your students. By involving both the cognitive and tactile aspects the retention rate is greatly increased.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Mnemonics are a fun and wonderful way of remembering a lot of wiring diagrams.

Sign In to comment