Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really like that idea. Sometimes when I am demoing how to do something, questions that students will ask can actually confuse others to the point that they cant even remember how to boil water.

listen and communication is key with teaching and instructing. Silence is also important

Sigh! You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make it water ski. Some things the horse is just going to have to choose what it does or does not do. However, it is our job as instructors to dangle that carrot in front of them and remind them what they are working so hard for and help them reach that goal.

Hi Sarah,
Well said. We can only do so much. After all we have already graduated so we instructors aren't trying to pass the course, this is why we have the big desk. The students have to become invested in their own futures if they are going to be successful.
Gary

Very often students talk to each other throughout the demo. I always stress at the beginning of the lecture they must observe & take notes on everything that I do.(They have to make exactly what I just demonistrated). Since they were not paying attention, their project was not as successful as it should be. They really believe that they can remember everything. If they had just made a list of the equipment used, the speed of the machine, the length to time etc. they would have a memory jogger or check list they would do great. These students don't even want to take simple notes that can help them. I do not understand this.

Hi Brenda,
Neither do I. They have enrolled in a career preparation program of their own choosing, paid money to be in school and are creating a future for themselves and they don't want to take even simple notes. I had a talk last week with my group about this very thing. I asked them "why" and their response was to look down and be silent. I got them up out of their seats and we started doing an activity because I was and am determined that they may not be focused on the course nor their careers but as long as I have them I will model what a professional is about and I will have them engaged in activities that can be of help to them.
Gary

I completely agree with you when you mention that people only listen to what they want to hear. I find myself doing this from time to time.
Before teachers/instructors begin teaching; they should be required to learn how to lecture effectively. How many times have you been sitting during a lecture that you were truly interested in and the lecturer was not the least bit interesting or animated enough to keep your attention? I find this happens most of the time.
I'm not sure if people are born with the ability to lecture in front of a crows or if this is something you can learn. I am fortunate to have been born with an outgoing personality and can be very animated and comedic when in front of a crowd. I must have been a stand up comedian in my former life? Although it has been easy for me to lecture effectively...I feel many others need work and practice.

Hi Joseph,
You make a number of good points about how to engage students in the learning process. Instructor do need to be able to keep a high level of enthusiasm and excitement. This helps to keep the students focused on the learning content that is needed.
Gary

Capturing the attention of your students and knowing when or, how to inject(humor), get back on topic and complete the lecture for Ques/Ans session is an accomplishment.

I will accept the challenge everytime.

Hi Maureen,
Isn't fun when a class comes together. By this I mean the students are engaged, you are hitting all your key points, the students are laughing at your jokes and you are getting paid to do something you love to do. Those days make up for the ones where everything seems to fall a part early in the day and it doesn't improve.
Gary

I like this point; I believe a well-structured lecture is not just an instructor outputting information to the students, it's also checking to see if the students can apply what they learn. I imagine asking simple questions throughout the lecture may be a great way to help the recoding process.

Also, I liked the guided notes idea in a lecture context; giving the students a background task to chew on while you're guiding them through a topic can only help. Just from my own experience as a student, I'm always looking ahead to where the gaps are in my knowledge, and am anticipating filling them; if I had a visual representation of that, it can only provide a more interactive lecture (may sound like an oxymoron, but really isn't!)

-E.A.W.

Edward,
I agree as well. We instructors need to check for learning throughout each class. If we don't then we are wasting both the time of the students as well as ourselves since we will be missing the needed instructional opportunities.
Gary

I agree! I try to get my students attention the minute in the door. This makes the class go smoother and I find I can keep their attention.

I have also learned that involving students in the demo helps them retain the knowleadge they need to complete the task when they need to do it!

Jay,
This is a good strategy to use because of what you have said. The more they are involved and sharing with each other the more they will retain the course content in their working memory bank.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment