Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

decoding and recoding

I have found by letting the students help with lecture and demostration helps with the student understand what I'm talking about. Let me give an example if a student tells me he doesn't understand or does not know what that means I will find another way of presentation. I have used noises hand gestures I have incorporated bring up students and making them part of the lecture. I usually get through to the student the one thing I want to emphasize is do not embarrass the student. I have told the class if you do not under stand if I have gone over it ten times I'll go over it another ten times when I look around the room asking if you understand just give me a signal a nod a hand gesture and I'll go over it again because you're probably not the only one. If I need to tutor I will do that too.

Cecil this is a great strategy!
Sometimes students see other students nodding their head and assume they should too understand the material; therefore, they may be embarrassed asking questions. Other times students see other students actively asking questions or responding to the instructors and determine the material is clear to others but not to them. I think that instructors should be prepared to explain a subject/concept in more than one way. I sometimes ask the students if the material is clear to them, when I don’t get a near unanimous positive response, I try to explain it in a different way. Thanks.
J medina

I think that instructors should be prepared to explain a subject/concept in more than one way. I sometimes ask the students if the material is clear to them, when I don't get a near unanimous positive response, I try to explain it in a different way. Thanks.
J medina

As a chef instructor I find that when I get the students involved with my demonstrations they tend to learn the material better. I find that this is very useful for the quieter students in the class, which might not want to ask questions. We give then the title of “Sous Chef” so that they feel that they are “helping” but I use it more like a learning tool, as they have to demonstrate the task at hand and then they have to help describe the process in their own words.

Hi Shani,
Good strategy. This way everyone is involved at one time or another throughout the class. There is a saying that I like. "Teaching is learning twice-once as a student and once as a teacher" By having your students assist you you are giving them the opportunity to learning twice and that greatly enhances content retention and skill development. Besides the title "Sous Chef" sounds so official.
Gary

This does seem to be a great strategy for student to understand the subject matter, helping them become more engaged with the subject and focused as well.

Sign In to comment