Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Judicious Review

The incorporating the four parts allows student to remain confident and motivated to learn. The process of reviewing occurs when students need to
draw on and apply previously taught knowledge. Instructors must incorporate and organize review
to facilitate better learning, longer retention, and better application.

DeSharn,
Good way to approach problem solving and critical thinking. This gives the person a comprehensive picture of what the problem is and how to approach possible solutions.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

the Judicious review comes with repetition, distributed over time, cumulative/varied(added sequences of knowledge)as a habit over 30 days to form a habit

Patricia,
Right you are and we instructor got our knowledge through experience and repetition. Repetition helps us to "burn" the content into our minds for use later on.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

better retention but more importantly application of the knowledge comes with judicious review

Beth,
How do you work your students through the application and judicious review process? Thanks for your input on this.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I teach with a variety of short in-class exercises - 15-30 min long. Next year I might try working a habit of judicious review at the beginning of each exercise . . . then make sure that the information reviewed is applied during the exercise.

I try and review after each day, and if the work is particularly challenging, I try to review section through section of the lecture.

Erica,
This is a good way to get your students to do some reflective thinking as they wrap up the class for that session. This way they are carrying away content that they can bring back and apply when the class meets again.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment