Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Repetition

A colleague and I use repetition to try to get students to grasp difficult concepts, and found that our success rate was higher than others in the past who didn't use repetition.

In order to help students learn the normal balances of accounts in my Accounting I class, we developed the mantra "Expenses are debits, Assets are debits". As a result, all else are credits (we aren't ready for contra-assets!). We repeat this so many times during the first few classes to the point that students tell me they wake up during the night and this is their first thought!

A little humor added to the repetition is a good thing!

Coming into the school the students are aware that this is an accelerated culinary course.
We complete 3-5 projects per day. Some students want to keep making the same project until they perfect it. How do you remind the student what accelerated means & they need to practice on their own time?
In this segment it is stated that repetition of the same task 30 days in a row will make the student proficient.

Hi Brenda,
One way to accelerate their learning would be to have them identify or you can as the instructor the components or skills they have acquired. This way they can transfer those skills to the next assignment rather that getting hung up on the total process that they feel they need to practice. This will reduce the number of segments they need to practice plus let them continue to be forward focused in their learning. Before they know it they will have acquired the needed skills while keeping up with the class and this will become habit with them which is part of the 30 day habit acquirement process.
Gary

I agree repetition, repetition, repetition it may be old fashion but it still works.

Hi Joan,
Yes, it does. The key is to find ways to bring repetition into the learning process while keeping the students engaged. This is where creativity and imagination comes in and that for me makes teaching even more fun.
Gary

Repetition is a great learning tool. I explain to students, not to fear when it is time to preform procedures or to apply what they have in class in a real life setting. I let students know their skills will improve, why because of repetition.

PATRICIA,
I am a big user of repetition strategies myself for the reason you list. Repetition can be done so many different ways to keep the students interested while searing the content into their memories.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Repetition works, especially if you can get the Students to use 3 or more senses in there repetition.

Tom,
Right you are. As a result we need to make repetition and use of senses a part of our instructional delivery format.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment