Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I feel that pretesting is an important part of the education process for my students who are learning culinary arts because it allows the intructor to understand who has "real world" experience and who simply watches the Food channel. The "real world" student would have more hands-on skills.

I was not a big fan of pretesting prior to reading some of the information in this course. I think it will give an idea of where students are as far as getting started.

Alow the instructor to focus on the student strengths and weakness.

Depending on the level of class I am teaching, i.e. 100 level versus 300 level, I use the pretest to determine the starting point of the class. If there are students in the upper level who have fallen through the seams, I will spend the extra time with those students.

Hi Brian,
Good way to support your students. Those that have had some challenges previously know they will be able to be successful as a result of you knowing where they are in their knowledge base.
Gary

I feel that Pre Testing is very important, in my classes I give a quiz everyday at the beginning of every class to go over what we went over in last class to refresh them and to make sure they understand what they are learning. Plus I always tell them once they leave school that they must keep challenging themselves by testing themselves with project that they have to come up with so they keep up to date with the graphic design field and any other content that are interested because education does not stop when you graduate.

I think pretesting is important because it shows where the student weaknesses are and that can help the instructor to identify what student may need additional tutoring or maybe even talk to the student as to why he/she chose this particular course. Maybe the chosen course is not the right fit for the student once he/she realizes what will be involved in it.

Pre-testing is helpful in nearly any type of class in order to establish base levels of knowledge. It can be difficult to do with hands-on type classes, but can be incredibly helpful for the instructor. Knowing how experienced your students are can completely change the direction you go with the overall learning experience.

HI Rose,
Right you are about pretesting. I use it a lot in my classes and it really helps me to understand the level of my incoming students and shows me where I need to start with my instruction.
Gary

ONCE AGAIN THE PRETEST FOR MY LEVEL OF EDUCATION IS WONDERFUL FOR THE TEACHER AS WELL. WE GET TO NOW THE LEVEL OF THE STUDENTS BUT WHEN I HAVE STUDENTS OF A WIDE RANGE OF AGES IT HELPS TO GET THEM INVOLVED WITH EACH OTHER

Pre-testing and weekly testing, depending on the course, is very important to keep the students active in their didactic studying to yield positive results in the clinical setting as well.

it helps me to see where my students strong and weak point are

I teach nursing and a quick pretest that relates to the anatomy and physiology of the body system under discusson seems to help the students to focus their attention better. Also - it helps put the A&P they learned into a practical situation

Hi Nicole,
I like to use this approach as well because of the results I get from knowing where my students are. As you mentioned this helps to create a starting point for the instructional planning.
Gary

Pre testing is a great way to test a students strenghts and weak points, but it can also be used to find who is serious about learning. How often have you anounced a test in advance and students still don't bring a pencil?

Hi Sarah,
Your comment about the lack of a pencil when a test is being given made me smile. I am always amazed when students walk into class without paper or pen or any other means of taking notes. Is the fact there is going to be content sharing a new concept to them? After all it is college and colleges have classes and learning occurs. Yet it never fails that some students don't get it. What kind of employees are they going to be? Wait, I think I already know the answer to this question.
Gary

Pre testing is a great tool to understand where the class as a whole stands, but more importantly it helps you understand before the first lecture the students that you will need to focus more on.

Pretesting is a great tool as it identifies the students' baseline knowledge therefore can help the instructor tailor his/her content.

I also agree. Pretests are an excellent way to gauge the class to allow for a more specific instrutctional style and tempo.

Sign In to comment