Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is very important.

I stress to students that grades are nice. And they help you in school. But they are not what matters after graduation.

Especially since what I teach is game design, employers are not looking at grades. They are looking at the final product. What did the student learn. And for most of the classes, I base grades around employer expectations. I make the classroom simulate a work environment.

So projects have due dates and their grades become their pay. Late projects, unfinished projects, projects that are just turned in for a grade and don't have time devoted to them... all get marked down.

Just some examples. But the idea is to bring those professional life expectations into the classroom and relate them to what they are doing. And along the way, stress the situations they are going to get into and what are acceptable reactions to them.

Hi Shawn,
You are teaching your students critical skills that will help them throughout their careers. They need to know how to make application of the content and skills they are developing. If they can't see how time lines and quality of production influence their career success they are going to have some real challenges when they get in the workplace.
Gary

All of us have expectations for our students including being on time, working successfully with others, asking appropriate questions, etc. that will help our students to understand what will be expected of them in their fields. The process of school incorporates so much more than just the specific content of a particular course.

Hi Rejandra,
You are right about the expectations of the course being beyond just the content. We need to also work on the employment and social skill development of our students. They will need these skills if they are going to be successful in the workplace.
Gary

Sign In to comment