Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Alphia,
I am a big fan of service learning and new skill applications. My students have the same reactions as yours when I get them in the field and they get to use their technical expertise to help someone. This really shoots the motivation levels of the students off the chart.
Gary

I find that a lot of my time is spent teaching students basic grammar and math. Obviously they don't see the immediate benefits of these skills, but when they can see it in 'the larger picture' type scenario things start to click for them. For instance, I have students who need to learn basic algebraic formulas to construct workout programs for their clients. When they come in to see me, they are glum to say the least. Conversely, when they are in the gym data gathering from a client, when they come back to see me to help them figure out formulas to aid their clients, well then it is a different story altogether. In my opinion, service learning is an excellent tool for motivating career college students.

Hi Andrew,
I agree with you on the value of service learning. It really helps students to see application and relevancy to what they are learning.
Gary

Sign In to comment