Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Different way we obtain knowledge

Adult learners are really special. They are excited to learn new things. I am very happy to teach them. and this has opened new ideals to help them success in their new adventure and hopefully some I can guide to other new adventures.

Delmera,
I really like having individuals in my classes that have extensive life experiences because of the contributions they make to class discussions and the role models they are to my younger students. I recently had a student the came from Russia with a PhD in Physics. She had worked on a number of space flights including the multi-nation space station. Talk about life experiences! She was a great student and impacted the other students as well. She is starting in January as a science teacher in our local school district.
I know we all could relate examples like this in terms of our adult students. We need to enjoy their contributions and feel good that we can help them move toward their own career goals.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Life experiences are great when teaching students, for you can put it into a form that they can relate it to.

Kelvin,
Yes, they are. They need to be directly related to what is being studied so the students can see the relevancy and application of the story being told. When done this way the stories enhance the value of the content.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Each individual is different and have different ways of obtaining knowledge. I love it when there are a diverse group of people in a group setting and each individual is processing the information either by visual, audio, or logical reasoning. This makes the class much interesting.

We have quite a mix of learners at my institution. Teenagers fresh out of high school to adult learners preparing for a second or even third career. I must say that I learn from each of them as well.

Jon,
This is the student population that I have as well. Each group is unique and each contributes to the class in specific ways. Always a challenge to make sure every student is contributing to the class and receiving the needed support.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Teaching Adults can be very difficult, they don't retain information as well as younger pupils. Repeating the material helps them to understand. Teaching adults is a learning experience for them and myself.

Sign In to comment