Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teaching Abstract Concepts to Kinesthetic Learners

I have always had difficulty teaching abstract scientific concepts to kinesthetic learners.

What are some good suggestion for teaching things that can't be seen, heard, or touched?

Hi Attila,
One of the things I do is to give them simple examples and build to the more complex. For example I will ask them to define "BBQ" for me. The answers range all over from a form of cooking, smoking, party, picnic, piece of equipment, etc.. One we have talked about that then I bring in the complex abstract concept I am teaching and we start working on defining and understanding it. This seems to really help the students to make the needed connections.
Gary

I agree that when teaching abstract concepts, one should connect them to something familiar. This, I believe, works well for all students, not just for the Kinesthetic Learners. I have also found that connecting these concepts to previous experience is helpful. It is not unlike the way that young children learn through hands-on experience or through connections to such experiences from their past.

Hilda,
You make a good point about connecting abstract concepts with practical applications. This helps the students to see the value to what they are learning plus gives them reinforced learning opportunities.
Gary

One of the difficulties I've found in teaching is that it seems that many students have already "identified" themselves as kinesthetic learners, and have little or no interest in any other form of participation. Reading and listening seem uninteresting to them, and I've found great difficulty in keeping those students interested, focused, and patient.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sign In to comment