Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Working outside the comfort zone

Our primary or preferred methods of learning are comfortable for us. We all have multiple intellegences and we have those that we use and rely on more frequently than the others. However, as educators, we should be taking our students outside their comfort zone of learning. The only way for someone to increase the areas that are not their strongest is to apply them.

It is important to offer variety in teaching methods, but only delivering information in a student's preferred method does not teach them to find new ways to learn

The module pointed out that despite students learning best in certain intelligences, they need to branch out in order to meet employer demands in the real world. I can attest. Students in a Gen-ed class in a culinary school can sometimes falter due to their dependence on tactile learning. I try to point out to them that as leaders intheir field, they'll need to be "multi-tool players".

Hi Paul,
Keep up your efforts. Students need to have skill sets in a number of different areas if they are going to be successful as you well know. So the more encouragement you can offer them during this learning time the greater their skill acquisition will be.
Gary

Some aspects of my classes can be technical and often students get very concerned about being able to learn the material. It is important to offer them multiple ways of learning the difficult topics. I also offer to review their assignment prior to submission. This gives them a comfort level and a feeling that they aren't totally on their own.

Jo Ann,
I agree with your points. If we are truly interested in career learners' success, then we must challenge them -- indeed PREPARE them -- for the way that life will challenge them. Helping students meet those challenges will give them confidence moving forward.

Yes, I agree with the module that we need to be aware of students' preferred methods, but to cater only to those methods is to do a disservice to the student.

Each class that I teach, now, I incorporate new ideas and ways of reaching my students. I have learned so much and am very appreciative!

I think we need to keep an open mind about the different ways of teaching because student learn at differnt paces.

I would love to have more training on this subject. Everytime I read and study this topic, I think about how I felt in class.We are all so different.

Hi Nicole,
You might try to new strategies that move both you and your students outside of traditional formats. This way you can see how it works and start to develop a feel for how you might want to implement different approaches to your instructional delivery.
Gary

Students will usually take the path of least resistance, doing what they are comfortable with. Many times i find it takes letting the students experiment to find what will work for them.

Some of the controversy I’ve seen in discussions related to gearing education to ‘generations’ of learners relates directly to this concept. Let’s say that younger generations may tend to prefer an ‘edutainment’-style approach in class as opposed to an older generation member’s expectations that a teacher ‘teaches’ by lecturing, while the student sits quietly and takes notes, is one contrast to consider. The controversy leans toward concerns that tailoring education to suit learner preferences might not provide them with sufficient opportunities to build other learning styles or practice other techniques, which might be needed in a work environment that is NOT likely to gear itself toward their preferred style.

I think its important for students to learn outside of their comfort zone to help prepare them for different things life will pass their way. I teach culinary arts and I implement many approaches to learning, not only to ensure I am reaching all of the students at one point but also to challenge others in new areas they may not be fully comfortable with.

It is important to offer variety in teaching methods, but only delivering information in a student's preferred method does not teach them to find new ways to learn

think we need to keep an open mind about the different ways of teaching because student learn at differnt paces.

That's true and that's why I experiment with various approaches and methods until I find something which fits most of the students. Still, we need to be able to teach each of them, no matter how quick or slow learners they are.

I agree that we should challenge our students to look at other ways of learning information. We have the ability to expose them to other methods,but some students have not discovered a preferred style of learning.

yes I agree we need to challenge them more and get them ready for what's actually out there. for example I like to give a lot of verbal instructions, and recap at the end of the day . At that time i find out who is listening and who was not paying any attention.

-Melanie

Hi Melanie,
Good way to see if the students are absorbing the new content as well as learning if they can make application of that content.
Gary

I aggree working outside the zone can sometimes get us to connect with someone in such a way that as students they feel they are learning I also agree that trying to taining aids leads towards positive learing no matter what subject you are covering as a instructer.

Hi Eric,
Good point and one that is very important to the learning process. Students need to see how they can approach the content in different ways in order to get the information they need for career success.
Gary

Sign In to comment