Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding Multiple Intelligences

i try and use four learning styles to help every one understand material

Indeed it is good to stay diverse in the delivery of course material.

i do to i find that it helps everyone

I find some difficulty recognizing some of my student's learning styles. We only have each group for 3 weeks, and it can be quite a challenge recognizing, and teach to their learning styles. When developing a lesson plan, most often I target the kinestetic learner due mostly because most of them are hands on. In the automotive field, this makes up the majority of the student body.

Hi David,
This is a good way to approach instructional delivery since you have them for such a short period of time. You are letting them work within their learning preferences and that is important for student engagement.
Gary

Since I teach nursing, we have to use all senses. I take full advantage of engaging my students to utilize their intellect, plus my teaching forces them to share their knowlegde and maintain diversity in learning the material.

The three week time is short so instead of trying to discover their learning style I try to cover all of them so there is a mix.

Hi John,
Good strategy for short term courses. I think this is the way for you to reach all of the students throughout the three week session.
Gary

I find it hard as well to identify the different learning styles. I mix my presentations up a bit to try and cover or "shotgun" the various styles. I use bright colors when I draw or write on the board, I allow a few moments to read some of our assignments and I demonstrate some techniques by hand. This keeps students engaged (for the most part).

Hi Edward,
Good strategies. You are presenting the different styles and then the students can pull information from how instructional delivery via their preference.
Gary

being able to use the different learning styles in class help each student seperately succeed in the class

I think this is the best model, we only have three weeks. I try to "learn" on the fly, discovering the learning styles as we go. If one works best, with a majority the the students, i spend more time with it.

As I Instruct my students I use verbal with power point then have the students perform a task with previous Instruction,exp. I will explain how a low pressure switch works then I will give them one good one and one defective one and tell me which one is defective and why.

Richard,
I like the way you are combining content with application. The more this can be done the better students will be at problem solving when they are out in the workplace.
Gary

Dr. Gary Meers

Sign In to comment