Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Gary, I love Anne's story and the outcome. I am also inspired by Ms. Ingalls. I taught a "Humanities and the Arts" class for students enrolled in Fashion Design, Interior Design, or Visual Communications. For the final project, rather than writing a paper, I asked the students to design a greeting card (anything from birthday to bereavement to new baby/home, etc.) that referenced a specific culture and/or art movement. Students wrote a short statement about their design and presented their work on the last day of class. I was thrilled with the results!!! Interestingly, not all of the students were excited about the project: some would have preferred a straightforward paper that required less creativity and problem solving... I believe this is because their other studio/lab classes require so much of their creative energy, that a standard approach was actually more desirable at that moment in time... For the future, would you recommend giving students an either/or option up front, as to whether they would write a paper or produce a physical product?

Jocelyne

Hi Katheleen,

What a great idea to have students team up to create the initial fashion croquis together!!! Sketching the fashion figure can be so intimidating for students and giving them the opportunity work out the elongated proportions together would certainly calm some of the anxieties/vulnerabilities that arise. Thank you so much for sharing!!! I am adopting this method for my upcoming fashion sketching class.

Best, Jocelyne

Hi Jocelyne,
Good question and one that I have been working through the past year. Last year I started offering my students the choice of a paper, presentation or physical product. The results have been great just as you have experienced. I think they buy in more when they have a choice. I would give them the option and see how it works out for both them and you. I think you are going to like how it turns out.
Gary

Thank you Gary. I will move forward with more options. I do appreciate your feedback!

Jocelyne

I teach an architectural detailing class that involves drawing to communicate ideas about design. This semester I was planning on having one student a class draw a detail on the board to communicate a part of the design they are doing for the semester. I originally thought it was good to motivate them to keep up with their work, but now I think the bigger advantage is the Kinesthetic teaching it provides.

Hi John,
Right you are about the kinesthetic aspects of learning. I think your students are going to see increased learning as a result of your new plan.
Gary

I try to encourage my culinary school students to write a "To Do" list the night before a practical exam. They write what's needs to be done, how it will be achieved and when will it be achieved. I think this helps ease their anxiety and puts in perspective the task in hand.

Hi Brian,
I think this is a very good way to get them focused on what will be happening the next day while calming some of their nerves the night before. The more practice they have in thinking things through the more "automatic" some of the step will become so they can concentrate on some of the more challenging tasks they have.
Gary

I am also a kinesthetic learner and am thankful that the courses I teach involve hands-on frequently. I also adjust my way of teaching to accommodate the other learners as well.

Hi Debra,
So am I so I can relate to where you are coming from. By using a variety of delivery methods you are appealing to the different learning preferences found in the class. This will help to keep the students engaged in the learning process.
Gary

I teach a bread class. One of the assignments is to develop an original bread recipe. This is 3-4 member team project. The students have to provide a paper containing the name of the bread they created, the recipe including a type of preferment and enclude allmethods and formulas including the bakers percents for all components of the recipe. The students must produce 4each one pound loaves for presentation & tasting. Many teams embelish their presentations with props or themes. Some teams create a history or story about their project. Is is great how the students anxity blossom into a wonderful event.

Hi Brenda,
This is a great project. I only wish I was on campus when you complete this unit because I love breads of all types. I know your students are really engaged and focused on this assignment because they get to be creative, work together and show off their expertise. Fun and profitable unit for everyone.
Gary

In HVAC our kinesthetic (hands on) is thought of by a lot of our students as their only way to learn. Understanding this concept and identifying with the students ways of learning before we are in the shop area will be very helpfull.

Larry,
Good point about them needing both. As you know from your own experience there has to be a connection between content and skills to be successful in the work place.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I have found rather than just composing for the sake of structure, have the composition come from a third person point of view and read it aloud in character voice, using regional or international accents. It adds creativity to the topic, and so becomes a kinesthetic activity as well.

Sign In to comment