Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Multiple Intelligences

I've used this for a long time - basically in the inseat situation it is change the type of delivery every 15 minutes (and why don't educators do that when they are attempting to teach other educators and drone on for two hours just in didactic mode).

Hi Donna,
My thinking on the reason for not changing the delivery every so often is that it requires too much work and planning. So the educators of the educators just drone on and don't practice the "best practice" of delivery change. Sad situation isn't it?
Gary

You read my mind. I just thought, why on earth do the instructors at our training seminars drone on and on? I'll try to remember that when I am speaking in class.

Our Professor Meers hits the nail on the head when he states the reason is that it takes more work to adjust the class. We all must take a good look (or listen) to how we must sound in the classrooms to our students.

Reading through this text, I was immediately associating the types of learners I have. The "written word learners" who amaze me when they shout out exact wording from the text books. I certainly know I am not of that breed.

The "auditory learners" who recite what I told them earlier that week. It's amazing.

I'll attempt to stay midstream -- reciting the information, showing it to them so they may highlight or note, writing examples on the board and my hardest challenge -- the kinesthetic -- I suppose I could let them chew gum.

Hi Nancy,
I am excited that you are excited about the changes you can make in your instructional delivery to help your students to be more effective learners. A suggestion I have for your kinesthetic learners is to have them completed guided note worksheets. I give all the students guided note worksheets and the kinesthetic learners really get into the writing aspects of completing the outline. This helps them to use both their cognitive and physical strengths.
Gary

I have to agree with you. The type of learner is sometimes obvious, but most often you have to use several methods to "get the point across." I have some of all types of learners in the classroom and the ones that are the auditory learners seem to go further, faster.

Doing what's best for you students is worth any extra effort. You have to be able to adapt to each class and each individual.

in my opinion changing the method of delivery often is no "extra effort". if one is passionate about ones teaching; it is exciting and fulfilling to change often. after all, we will still learn while we deliver and nothing kills interest more then monotony - on both sides of the podium.

I teach fashion patterning classes to students who may not really like the math and exactness involved. They want to be famous designers immediately!
What are some ideas for helping them learn the "nuts and bolts" of a process that is not glamourous or inherently creative? They need the information, and it is empowering, but some students don't understand my enthusiasm for the beautiful way that the pattern can transmit information.

Hi Jeanette,
Is it possible to give assignments where the students use the "nuts and bolts" to build on their designs and projects. I like to give them case studies where they have to use the basics to complete the assignments. They start to appreciate the basics once they see how they let them move forward in their learning to become the famous designers they want to be.
Gary

By changing every 15 min. or so I find it easier to deliver subject matter as well as the students tend to recieve more info they can recall later. If the instructor seems upbeat about the subject than the students will be too!!

Hi John,
Thanks for sharing your success with the 15 minute model. This information will be valuable for other instructors to follow as they do their own instructional planning.
Gary

Yes, this building also helps the learner to assemble the steps in a procedure or make relationships among concepts.

Sign In to comment