Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hands on

Most of the students in my field learn hands on and not doing lectures. I can relate 100% to most of my students

Josiah,
Since most of your students are tactile learners you have a great opportunity to expand their intake of content through application and relevance. The more they see these two elements the more valuable the content becomes.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

the thing about what we teach (electrical), a lot of the learning process is doing it over and over. Hands-on is a major part of the learning process in the class room when it comes to teaching electrical

Alonzo,
Repetition is a powerful learning tool and your student are getting such through the projects and activities they complete.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I am teaching clinic and professional development from 6-10pm. The hands on part is always easier because I can get them moving. Going back and forth from lecture and the lab enables the students to shift gears on a regular basis.

I do have trouble getting them moving sometimes because they are very tired when they come into class after work and have just gone through fast food for their dinner. I have a younger set this term and they want to chat. Any suggestion's?

Darlene,
I teach from 4 until 10pm so I can appreciate your challenge. You are doing all of the right things to keep them engaged. I change activities and delivery format approximately every 20 minutes to keep them engaged. For example I will open class with answering a mystery question I asked at the conclusion of the previous question. Then I will do a mini-lecture, then a case study, then a small group, mini-lecture, Q&A session, etc.. As you can see I just keep mixing it up to get them to thinking, talking, and interacting. This along with breaks gets us through the evening and we have be able to meet our learning goals for the session.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I understand about going from lecture to hands on within a clinical setting. Most of my students understand the material better when they have the lecture first, then go into clinic and apply this knowledge. I feel it is beneficial for the ones that are tactile learning students. I have also seen where a student that is auditory and visual, doesn't always understand the hands-on aspect within clinic

My students today have asked to go to lab to see the demo first because they have read the chapter and feel seeing it in person will help them understand the lecture better. We are starting surgical gloves, instruments, autoclaving, and sterile trays. I can see how a demo first would help here. I had planed on a video but will go into lab.

I like the mystery question idea. I often forget to do it. This is a great reminder. Thanks

Darlene,
I think that by going into the lab you will make the content become more alive for the students. After the lab demo you can back it up with the video but students as you know really like to get "hands on" when it comes to skill development.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Darlene,
These are fun activities for the students and they really help to peak their interest in the next class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Hands on is a powerful resource to help in retaining information, students are able to keep 70% of what they have used their "hands on".

Roberto,
Yes "hands on" is a powerful resource because it helps students to make the connection between what they are learning cognitively and the application they are making with the hands on. This method of learning increases the retention factor for the students so they can retain critical information in their working memory bank.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Just wondering if this is just one (1) class or a couple of classes scheduled in a series, without a break.

I agree that in my field of dentistry hands on learning and repetition is the key to learning in my field.

I use a lot of hands-on learning in the computer field, but lectures are still needed to define the hands-on training.

As a Cosmetology Instructor, my students are required only 300 lecture hours and 1200 practical(hands-on) hours. It becomes challenging to then get them back into the books.

Thankfully what I teach is mostly hands-on in the field of Massage Therapy, therefore I can definitely relate to most of my students.

Likewise, my students learn best by hands on approaches, but they must learn the theoretical aspect as well. I relate to them by impressing upon them from an inspirational appeal perspective in relations to the theoretical portions of their learning. I use examples from in the field illustrating the fact that they must posses this knowledge or it will cost them in terms of time, where time is money in the field.

This is exactly what I do, as well. In the field of physical therapy you must have a grasp on the theory behind the practical. Hands on is great for tactical skills and seeing the theory in action but without an understanding of the theory which is book work, the student will not know the rational behind the practical application.

Sign In to comment