Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning 400 new things a year

This doesn't seem like a lot to learn in an entire year of life. I will be searching for ways to make sure my students reserve as many of their yearly allotted "learnings" for my class.

Eric,
It really isn't a a lot but it is a challenge since we are exposed to thousands of messages in a year and we need to select what is important enough to retain. As instructors we need to make our message clear and our content meaningful so it will be among the 400 things they learn this year.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I always tell people that as long as you have breath in your body, life is a constant teacher and always be open to learn.

Niani,
Right you are. I have been teaching for many years and yet each time I start a new course I try to introduce something new in terms of content or activity so the course will remain current and exciting for me and my students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I feel like I have learned at least 100 of the yearly thing in the first section of this course.

Shannon,
Great to hear. Just think you now have that much less to learn the rest of the year. Whew!
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As I have. As many years as I have been a welder instructor, I use the same technique. There are certain terms, words that only describe or are related to the eye, hand coordination that a welder will relate to. In one of the phases we teach I only drive about a half a dozen. words or terms. When II see them on the floor quite a time later they always remind me of the experience and yell out the words. I get the biggest kick out of it.

George,
Shows two things, one that you are teaching your students valuable and needed career words and two, that you are making an impact on them since they are able to remember these words over a long period of time. Keep up the good work!
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

400 things is not a large amount. Your students are learning new things, but what about you? I know that I have to learn considerably more than 400 things each year to keep up with my CPE in both teaching and my profession. The tax laws are ever changing.
I make it a rule to never memorize what can easily be looked up. I try to do the same for my students. I allow them a certain number of index cards for things such as formulas or tables that they don't need to memorize but do need to know how to manipulate.

Lisa,
With the access we have today to an unlimited amount of data you are right about letting them use resources when they are appropriate and save their brain space for memorizing those facts that are essential.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

In our dental hygiene program, learning 400 items per year would not be nearly enough learning. We take students from start to a practicing hygienist in 17 months and I have no idea how many facts they learn in that year and a half but I know it is a large multiple of that 400.

Michael,
The 400 new items is an average of just being alive and exposure giving a person an opportunity to learn new things. This is why our job is such a challenge because as you say your students are being asked to learn many times over the 400 amount. This is why they need effective instruction and a high level of personal discipline if they are to be successful. Creates a challenge for instructors as they plan and deliver content but it is well worth it when you see students acquiring the needed content and skills. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

400 or 600 doesn't sound like much...two things per day? Seems like I ought to be able to do that.

After reading about the amount (limited) of learning for adults, I found myself thinking that was one bit of information I did NOT want to share with my students. I think they might use that as justification for not learning more in their classes. I encourage them to continue to look for opportunities to learn new things/information each and every day, and to keep their brain/mind stimulated. I follow the same advice I give them and hope others do too.

Not willing to settle for 400,
Barb D

Sign In to comment