Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Drawing on Past Experiences

I always attempt to form a linkage between previous experiences and the new concepts and ideas being introduced in the classroom. However, I have found at times, this recollection process can produce negative results based upon the recalled memories and experiences. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hi R Lee Viar IV,
The strategy you are using to help the students is a good one. The key to avoiding the situation you describe is to direct the discussion to make sure the experiences that are shared can be used as learning tools rather distractions. If they bring a negative situation up bring it back to what is the proper knowledge approach so everyone will benefit from the sharing.
Gary

I am in the culinary field, personal experience it a very good teacher. I tell the students about my presonal experiences as they relate to the couse material. I tell them both the good & bad experiences. By discussing the bad experiences, I can tell them what caused the problem, what to look for and how to avoid it. I also show them how to think on their feet using what is available to substitute items to fix the situation. You cannot stand by & do nothing, you must make a decision & work it through.

Hi Brenda,
Good point and a balanced approach to the classroom and the lab. Much of career success is based upon problem solving so the more you can help your students to do that the better prepared they will be for success in the workplace. Keep sharing those stories and your experiences with your students.
Gary

I to have experianced this in the class room and my response is that our experiances mold us into the people we are. Even if they are bad ones we still learn and grow from them and we can use them to help others

Hi Alyson,
Well said about our life experiences. They either destroy us or build us. We need to help our students to see how these experiences can move them forward toward their career goals.
Gary

I use past expiriences all the time and I find that it works very well. I work in the pharmacy field, and use even ask them recall different situation not related to pharmacy so the students can relate to what I am talking about.

Example: I might ask them to recall baking a cake to relate to them how to perform an alligation problem

Hi Jennifer,
I like the way you are bringing in their life experiences to reinforce what they are studying. I would guess they never thought of a connection between baking a cake and the pharmacy field.
Gary

I'm on the fence about this one. It depends on the group of students you are dealing with. Some can take a real life example of a topic you are discussing and get a better understanding while others will make the mistake of thinking that is the ONLY way to look at something. When I am a student I know it helps me to have some practical application and life experiences while I'm learning. When I'm teaching I often make sure that the tests include some of the situations I used to draw on my or students past experiences to gauge if the concepts are being grasped completely or if I need to revisit the area and clarify.

Hi Reshona,
Good points about how to use real life experiences as ways to get the attention of students but also to assess where they are at in the course in relation to making applications. This is a great way to illustrate relevancy to the students.
Gary

i have noticed most of the students I instruct want to be where I already was. Bringing my past experinces in to re-enforce a learning oblective is a valuable tool for me.

I agree that adult learners do come with good and bad experiences from their past. It can be difficult to open up their past experiences and not tap into some traumas and bad memories.

Sign In to comment