Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Learning Process

Students come to career schools with the intention of improving on existing skills and at the same time learn new ones. Sometimes as instructors we do not appreciate or realize the efforts that this adult learners are going through in order to move forward in their careers and life.

I am not advocating for a free ride, but we own them a fair chance at learning and reaching their goals. Occasionally, instructors have the tendency to overlook the obvious and not to take into consideration the effects of everyday life into the learning process.

Our methodology and teaching practices must comfort to the learning styles and life experiences of our students. we welcome people from all walks of life in our classrooms and sometimes set the standards too high for them to reach success.

Hi Luis,
Well said in terms of how to approach the career college classroom and provide support for students. With this approach I know the students in your classes have the maximum opportunities that can be provided if they are willing to put forth the effort to succeed.
Gary

"Everybody wants to be a cat,/ because the cat's the only one/ who knows where it's at" (Disney's The Aristocrats). When I acknowledge the validity of their experience in light of the concepts we're studying, they acknowledge the validity of the concepts.

Hi Dixie,
I love that movie. I just saw it last week for the 200th time with the grandkids. You are right about the cat example because cats are as good as it gets, or at least in their minds. This is why we need to think about how we can have the maximum impact on the lives of our students. This way they will be able to personalize the content to themselves.
Gary

It is important that we not lose sight of the fact that if the student does not learn, it's our fault. We are responsible for making sure they understand the material.

Providing the student shows up and is ready to learn. We have to utilize our skills to find the most effective way to present the material

Hi Sherrell,
Good point and one that both the instructor and student has to understand. We instructors can work very hard to provide positive learning opportunities but they have to be present and put forth the effort if they are going to be successful.
Gary

I have so much respect for those students that are starting a new career and are going to school to learn a new skill. Starting something new and from the bottom is not easy. I try my best to help them as much possible and guide them the right direction so they can be successful at the new task they have embarked. I feel very satisfied with myself whenever the accomplish what they come to school for and more.

Hi Karla,
I like the way you approach understanding and supporting your students. Yes, it is hard to lose your identity/career after 20-25 years of doing something and starting all over. By knowing you value them and their life experiences your students will state engaged and focused on being successful in your course.
Gary

It is quite rewarding to have students who are coming to my school as a second career and seeing his or her motivation and all the experience they bring to this new field.

Sign In to comment