Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Are you Listening?

I think one of the biggest challenges I find as a teacher is after I explain a task and I view all the heads nodding in agreement, shortly thereafter I am baffled as I watch half of them doing something completely different. It seems to be the younger students (18-23). I jokingly ask them if when they here me speak, do I sound like the teacher from Charlie Brown/Peanuts? It is frustrating because in the Culinary World, if you are unable to take direction and do exactly what is asked of you, you are destined to fail.

I've noticed a relatively new trend in student response: the look-nod response. If I look at you, you nod. At first, I thought the student was responding to what I said and was indicating understanding and/or agreement. Then I began to notice that the nodding students were nodding any time I looked at them, regardless of what I said. Further observation suggested the response was merely response to my glance at them, not to any personal engagement. I don't know yet about their engaged response to my more aware response, but it's certainly made me more aware!

Hi Mark,
I encounter this same situation often with my students so I understand your challenge. Keep up your strategy and as frequently as you can make immediate application of the new knowledge that has been shared. This may increase their engagement and understanding which is essential for their success.
Gary

Hi Dixie,
Good read on student behavior. The more you can sort through the behaviors and identify what the students really need the more accurate your instruction will be. It is much like a detective reading clues in a crime. Look for the little things to get an idea of what is really going on.
Gary

I like to place the outcomes of my lesson on the board and review them with the class. As I coverage each outcome I check it off. Repition is an important key for student learning.

Hi Robert,
Right you are about how repetition as a learning device. The key is to vary the repetition to keep the students interested and engaged while drilling the content into their working memories.
Gary

I have noticed that while showing a demonstration of the task/s to be completed,some students will take notes while others will just sit there and watch. as I grow as an instructor. I have learned that when it comes to learning, it might not be that the students are not listining but I have not reached them. when teaching mechanics most of the students are kenitic learners, while others are visual. when I am demonstrating how to service the suspension. some of the students might not have a good view.so while the students are proforming the task I'll observe them,if I see them making a mistake i will correct them (while practicing) but on the final attempt I will not correct them. but I'lllet them make as many attemptes as they need. I also found the while observing the class I'llask the students questions about the task they are doing,if they dont get it right I'll explain it to them. if they get it right I offer praise.I am an instructor paid to teach and instruct and provide the best possible learning to my students

Hi Roger,
Good strategies for providing support for the students and giving them the opportunity to grow within the class. These interventions are really valuable for the students as they can expand their expertise while acquiring the needed skills.
Gary

it is very frustrating i agree. in the culinary world you must beable to handle task at hand with 100% perfection. so if they don't listen
then we must make them listen.becuase we can not fail.

It can seem laborious at times, but in my experience I've had luck explaining a concept or term, writing this and some examples up on the board, and then following this with an exercise. This tends to engage some of the more common learning preferences (and helps with those who tend not to retain what you've told them for more than thirty seconds).

I have found that asking, "Does anyone have any questions?" is the quickest way to silence a classroom.

For many projects that I assign, I give the instructions in stages. I have found that this usually works fairly well because the students focus on a small number of tasks at a time; they are not overwhelmed.

Hi Jo Ann,
I have found that I have to do the same thing. Information given in stages is retained better and longer. Even then I found I have to repeat a lot of what I have covered before and in the syllabus concerning assignments.
Gary

I also have the same issue,it must be very prevalent in culinary education... I try and mix in with the students right after I lecture/demo to try and fend off the tendency of the studens to not do what you want them to, ie. not listening.

Hi Mark,
Good way to introduce the social aspect of being an educator. The mixing process helps you to read the students and to target any issues that may be revolving around the class. This is a time for developing rapport with the students as well.
Gary

I am an Culinary Instructor as well and I know exactly what Mark is talking about. I have found that that by using the paraphrasing technique, i have a/the student(s) recall the key points of the lecture so that way there is a better understanding by all; and I can stop or at least curb any deviations from the intended message.

It is not enough just to speak and watch students' heads "nodding in agreement", I'd rather engage them and do everything interactively. By this means, I feel confident that students are learning, listening and memorizing.

I use my lesson outline as a checklist on the board. As I complete each task during lecture and demo, I check it off on the board. At the end of the day I go back to the board and review each check mark. I often wonder why I have to keep going over the same thing, but many students will nod that they understand when they actually do not understand.

Hi Kimberly,
Good way to make sure you are not missing anything with your lesson. Also, no matter how the lesson is delivered it needs to be reviewed for the reason you listed. Some students don't get it the first time through even though they say they do. So review and reinforce each key concept.
Gary

Mark,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I get the head nod, and the occasional smile and nod.

Then the assignment is handed out, and I have students asking "Wait... ugh... what am I supposed to do???..." after I just gave simple, direct instructions. Not to mention the instructions are then again written on the assignment as well.

It's very frustrating and time consuming. I wonder at what point did I lose that students attention.

I'm going to utilize some of the methods stated above in hopes to better engage my students!

Interacting and keeping the students involved in the lesson is an important part of relaying information. When I lecture, I constantly move about my audience and call on them individually to help digest the lesson. I'm giving them a target to focus on.

Sign In to comment