Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Memory

Memory, also called storage, as teacher we must give the storage's keys to the students in order for them to utilize what has been stored inside!!!!

In the kitchen, I ask students to recall important information & then out loud in resounding voices, all students must say the critical information repeatedly so it sinks in & hopefully can be recalled at later dates.

I agree, Madame! I find that through repetition, students begin to remember the principals. Even if the concepts are initially unclear, over time, the repetition helps lock in the words, and that eventually leads to understanding.

By having the students review at the end of class and tell me what they've learned has been a great way for them to help retain information.

I like the idea of having students repeat what they've learned at the end of class. Lately, my fellow faulty and I have been amazed at the lack of retention our students seem to have, hopefully, this will help them retain more info!

I like the idea of having students repeat what they've learned at the end of class. Lately, my fellow faulty and I have been amazed at the lack of retention our students seem to have, hopefully, this will help them retain more info!

I find that review at the end of class increases participation.

Hi Nicole,
Good strategy and one that needs to be used more in classes. With so many distraction students do forget content very quickly.
Gary

I think repetition is important,but another thing that we do is to actually apply what we lecture on in a lab. The student hears the material, and then gets to apply what they learned for re-enforcement.

Hi Craig,
Application is a key part of learning. It is in many ways a form of repetition because the student is using newly acquired knowledge in a number of different ways to be able to apply what they need to do. This really helps them to store the content in their working memories.
Gary

Real life application seems to work best to help my students with remembering applications.

I agree i do "blended learing" in the classroom which will help the students when they are in lab.

Giving examples, or demos to their materials work where they can relate to the information.

Hi Eric,
These are so important because they help the students to "connect" with the content. This increases retention dramatically.
Gary

Sign In to comment