Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really enjoyed the video clip as well. I have to admit that I'd never given much thought regarding a student who has had their hand in the air for an extended period of time.

There's no question that when you finally respond to that particular student, that they end up taking you back in your class discussion.

Hi Donald,
Little things like the hand raising that was pointed out in the video that can be overlooked by the instructor and before one knows it the class has become some what derailed in the instructional flow of the class. It is good to be reminded of these issues so we can keep ourselves and our students focused on the forward progress of the class.
Gary

I sometimes have students write down their questions during a lecture i don't want sidetracked. Then address every question in a big Q&A session

Hi Kodee,
This approach enables you keep the class flow going but still answer the questions of the students. Good way to meet the different needs of your students.
Gary

I enjoyed the video clip as well and could visualize the students who constantly raise their hands, as well as the one or two who revert to previous conversation.

I try to acknowledge the student who rarely speaks and provide an opportunity for him/her to have the floor. In turn, the students with their hands raised a lot are asked to allow others a turn to share.

I find it to cause the discussion to tend to wander off subject.

I usually say something to my students on the first day of class, as we discuss what "class participation" means, that they should try to pay close attention to the rhythm and swing of our conversations, so that their questions are on target and timely.

I suppose this is my way of cautioning those students who might ask a question simply to "earn participation points." I emphasize quality over quantity when it comes to questions.

(Not that I won't try to answer any questions my students have.)

Pierre,
Good way to set the procedure you want your students follow in terms of asking questions that are of value. Everyone in the class should feel comfortable in asking questions knowing that you will do your best to answer them or if you don't know the answers do the research needed to find the answers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment