Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree that the long class sessions can be a challenge in terms of keeping the students focussed. We have 5 hour class sessions once a week for our evening students. Since they have come in from a long day at work, they are tired when they arrive.

I find that if I can show them visual examples, it really helps my fashion students. For example, if I show the History of Fashion students a picture of a garment, I talk about why that particular picture represents a moment of history. The colors, shapes, and decoration of the garment may relate to a historic event that the students know happened at the same time.
As another example, when I demonstrate Fabric Draping techniques, I show them one or two steps, discuss what problems they will encounter at certain points, and then have them repeat my steps on their own draping project. The repetition of what they saw me do is helpful to cement their learning.

Yes, immediate practical application definitely reinforces the lesson. Once the student can replicate it for themselves it seems to really "take" for them.

New material is likely a daily event in our classrooms, at one level or another. It has been a focus point of mine to continue making efforts to present material via different approaches that have equal chance of tapping into the different memory sources/networks in the brain. Multiple means of cracking the shell, if you will

I agree with this method. It is important to reinforce important material in different ways for various types of learners. This may mean using specific colors, repeating something, or using graphics to point out an item's importance.

In my class, where the students are learning a great deal of brand new material, I try to present the same word/visual concept in a definition form explaining what the word means in the context of the interior design field, show them an image of the item so that the students can see what the definition represents as a visual example and then show them visuals in Powerpoint presentations and videos so that can see the parts as parts of the whole. Hopefully, this helps through a variety of repeated presentations, to get the material to sink in!

I have found that repitition helps students retain needed content.

Before introducing a new project to a class, I provide them with a rationalle for the assignment. I talk about how the project will benefit them in this class, in a professional environment and sometimes how it will help with other classes and or a final portfolio. When students know why a project is assigned/constructed, they seem to get more involved instead of chalking it up to "busy work".

Hi Jen,
This is a great way to "connect the dots" for students. They can see through your explanation the relevancy and application of what they are about to learn. This helps to make it real for them.
Gary

If the concept/topic/fact is of higher importance, I will often present it in a variety of ways (i.e. visual, vocal, written, in hands on application) so that all types of learners can have the chance to access it as best suits their individual style. If you look around the room, you can see the "lightbulbs go on" when you hit the right method.

I also feel that repetition helps students to retain information. I also teach subject matters in a variety of ways to cater to different learning methods, visual vs. hands on.

I always list the main subjects in a short list for the class and explain the importance of understanding the info. Why it is important and when they will need it in their careers. The list also concentrates the chapter or section to a more manageable amount of material.

Yes I believe in a hands on approach and step by step instruction. Tutoring I feel is a abosolute must of teaching. Everybody learns at a different pace or speed.No two students are alike.

I do something very similar in my class.When we do a lecture on subject matter such as fuel systems,we use training aids to help show how things work.The next day we will spend in a lab setting using what we learned in class the day before.This is a good way to reinforce the lecture,and show the material again to all the students in another manner.

At our school, we try to pair the academic classes with a relevant culinary/ hands on class.
For example- Food Safety and Sanitation is paired with Culinary Foundations One- It is lectured and "demoed" in FSS- then in CF1 they get to actually experience.

Hi Jennifer,
I think this connection is very important in helping students to see the big picture of what they are being required to learn and internalize. The more of these types of connections that can be made the stronger their retention is going to be.
Gary

I believe using many methods of instruction assists the students in learning the material. Regardless of their learning preference it helps each learner to have the information useful to them.

I also like using various methods when teaching.I believe students retain so much more information when it is presented in several formats. The biggest problem I find, however, is their dependence on technology. Younger students in our programs have become so dependent on Power Points that are almost "trained" in believing that this is the only form of learning and teaching. They seem to get upset when I use other methods such as group projects, round table discussion, or case study development. It is difficult to get around this.

Sign In to comment