Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Richard,
You are correct in your understanding. Also, you then can vary the presentation format to reach all of the learning preferences in your course. This variety will help to keep the students engaged and focused on learning the course content.
Gary

interesting method. Will try to adopt it.

It is an advantage to genalize the class. It has allowed me as a instructor to identify each students way of recieving the materials I deliver.

Being new to education could you elaberate on how to best evaluate students or more information on where to find some of those assessments.

This is a great model! I will definitely use this one. It's kind of like the 3-step approach to giving "speeches"
1.) Tell them what you'll tell them
2.) Tell them.
3.) Tell them what you told them.

Hi Jay,
Good model and good plan. This is really going to benefit your students plus I know you are really going to enjoy the benefits of increased student engagement.
Gary

I will use try just asking them upfront and see what that produces in the way of discution. I would also think question related to back ground will be helpfull. The bottom line sounds like increased student engagement so they can tell you.

As a fellow culinary instructor who is in contact with the students very early into their culinary eductation I find that using a variety of methods works well, due to the variety of students that are enrolled.

I'm not sure if there is a "best" way, but I think it's helpful to discuss the different types of learning styles (i.e., visual, hands-on, verbal, read/write) early on and help them understand that most of us are a combination of each. Explain to them that you'll try to teach to a variety of these styles (and really make a point to do this!). This way you'll have the best chance of reaching them. Besides, it's often good for students to improve their weaknesses in other learning styles.

Sign In to comment