Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What a valid point you have!! I am 31 and although most of my students are in my peer group, I have several who could be my parents!

I think you're correct in stating that we must find a balance while showing we are knowledgable. I find that often times reminding the students that I have been in their shoes is helpful. I may say "I know this is a tough test to study for; you may feel overwhelmed; we are going to work through this together...I know how you must feel, etc."

I think reminding students also that they're in charge of their grade while still encouraging them to do their best is also tough. As a teacher we are met with numerous excuses that we must also learn to balance. I feel part of the learning process not only for us as teachers but also for our students, is to teach them classwork and LIFEwork!

Creatively, I must also meet the needs of each learning style in the classroom. I try to use a kinesthetic approach but find that doesn't always work with each group. Sometimes I have to shift my personal teaching style to meet the needs of the students.

Collectively, I think my point is this: I remind my students that although I am young - I am aware! Not only am I aware of my subject matter, I am also aware of different learning styles, methods of teaching and approaches because I've been in their shoes.

Hi Meghan,
Thank you for your response. You have outlined a very comprehensive approach to the hows and whys of working with students.
Your last sentence really sums it up. This establishes you as an expert in your field with the instructional ability to help the students to acquire the knowledge and skills needed for success. With your help it is up to them to put forth the effort it takes to be successful in the course.
Gary

Yes, thank you for pointing this out! I teach many students, some of them in my age bracket and some of them much older than me.

I agree, it is about teaching while respecting the students. Sometimes explaining a subject matter that you have expertise in can make you come across as arrogant if the student views you as a peer rather than a teacher. It's important to establish respect with the students so they know you are not there to compete with them (especially if you are the same age), but are there to help them and want them to succeed.

Like several of the participants in this forum, I have been teaching for a very long time and remember the pitfalls and problems in teaching older students. Now, sometimes, I have the problem with convincing the younger ones that what I am teaching is relevant, that I am not the source of all knowledge and that I too am still learning. I like your point of letting them know that you are aware on many levels...and my younger students need to know that I am aware of their world, and that they do not feel the course is solely geared to making them aware about mine.

I wondered the same thing when I started teaching (i.e. issue of respect with older students). I have found students older than me as their instructor to be nothing but respectful, hard-working, and delightful. In my experience it's the very young students who can be a handful at times due to entitlement or disciplinary issues. However, I've found as long as students can see your heart is in the right place (i.e. you truly want the best for them) they are generally great to work with!

I agree Matthew. I too am younger and have taught the past two semesters to a few students are older than me. It is a little awkward sometimes - but I do think they share a lot of good experiences as well. And it is a learning environment for everyone.

Hi Melissa,
Thank you so much for sharing these words of encouragement with us. This information is going to be valuable to new instructors.
Gary

Matthew-

I also began teaching college-level courses at a young age, however I learned (through experience) that "universal respect" and knowledge of content outweigh initial perceptions. For instance, during the first weeks of class, individual perceptions are the dominant factor in determining relationships with instructors and students. Eventually, your knowledge of content will become more important to the student, than your age.

I am also younger than many of my students, and I find that outlining my experiences in the field and my educational background helps establish that I do, in fact, know what I'm talking about. I do get the occasional "you think that because you are young," but I am often able to give concrete examples that support my opinions, I believe that helps.

Hi Krystal,
Good strategy for coping with concerns about your age. The fact you have extensive experience and are willing to share that experience with your students is evidence that you are the instructor because of your expertise. Keep giving them great examples and they will continue to respond to your leadership.
Gary

I often find myself teaching class from a group that is 18 to 80. In order to reach every one I need to provide examples to both age extreams can grasp. I have discovered that I need to express myself in leacture classes in many ways using all the learning tools to get the most out of the learning experience for the whole class.

Hi Wayne,
Good point about how to share examples that will be understood by the different generations of learners. This way everyone can understand and benefit from the content that is being shared.
Gary

I think this raises an interesting point that also goes beyond age. There are many instances where age does into experience because in many of our areas we as instructors do have the experience and the background to cover the material in an authority fashion even if that experience is not exactly the same as the subject matter.

For instance I am teaching a course in Visual Basic and I have not used or worked with visual Basic in more than 15 years but my experience with other languages and with other IDE tools allows me to cover the material effectively.

The other aspect is that we as instructors have to recognize that we are not always the experts in a given class, there are times where our students have vast experience and are looking to add a degree to essentially document their knowledge.

I have been in this situation myself and used it as an opportunity to learn from the student myself however what I recognized is that the instructors role is not simply the conveying of information and knowledge, it is to connect the dots and making things relevant. So while my student had extensive background I was able to relate that experience to the topics at hand for the other students and draw conclusions for the experienced student that he did not initially see himself.

At the end of the day, despite our age or experience we as instructors are helping the students along in their academic journey which is why I like the guide analogy. However we must recognize that role as being a guide and not the tour guide, you know the person with all the answers and full command of the stage and experience.

Michael Williamson.

Hi Michael,
Thank you for these good comments. I really like the way you summed up your comments about the difference between a guide and a tour guide. It is easy to be the tour guide when in fact our students need a guide to give them direction. A guide gives support and direction but does not enable the people nor has all the answers about everything that is being discussed.
Gary

I have a baby face, and strugle with people thinking that I am much younger than I really am. I do my best to make sure that I always show respect to all students older or younger than me. I try my best to let my knowledge of the subject matter speek for me. I do see a change over the time of the class, by the end they know that I really do have a lot of knowledge and information to share I just wish I could start the class this way...

Hi Scot,
This is the sign of a dedicated professional educator. You are earning the respect of your students throughout the course as a result of your ability to share your knowledge and expertise with them in a way they can understand.
Gary

I think respect is the key. Career changing students are usually more open to the new information. Students with experience in the subject matter have a harder time accepting new information from a younger, less experienced instructor.

I agree respect to all learners will not make the instructor feel inferior to his or her class. Sharing the common objectives with your learners will ease any thoughts of an age discrepancy.

When I first started teaching I was 23. It was very challenging at first to convey your knowledge/authority to those who were older than you. (with out giving them a smart alec response of course). It took them trusting me and my knowledge/ experience. And me "proving" to them I knew what I was talking about.
I've been at our school for almost 8 years, and with the dynamics of the post secondary education requirements changing- I am now right in the middle of the age range of my students. I look very young for my age, and it still takes them trusting me and my knowledge/ experience.
It just takes time- and as you become more of an experienced teacher- it's easier as well.

Hi Jennifer,
Thank you for this instructor development overview. I know it will be valuable for other instructors facing some of the things you did as you began your teaching career. Everything has worked out for you and it is great to hear our enjoying teaching.
Gary

Sign In to comment