Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

"Interactive Orientation"

I really like the idea of creating stations and empahsizing movement in an orientation program. During our current setup, I feel that students sit stagnant and sometimes uncomfortable no matter what breaks in "speeches" and active participation we pepper throughout the program. Is there anyone out there that currently uses a "station" concept/format. If so, any pointers or comments? I appretiate the input!

Once the students start to arrive, we start them out in groups of ten and one of our current students is the tour guide. We have our orientation brokent down into steps in different classrooms. For example one room is where the Campus Director is to go over school information, another room is our Career Placement Coordinator and possibly a graduate to talk with them about career services and success.
Another step would be doing things like locker assignments, parking passes and we usually have t-shirts and other small gifts for them. We also have some other steps.
This format works well for us.

Our institute uses the station format as well. To increase the interaction with faculty and staff, we have different employees working different stations. For instance, the vice president and a department instructor might be selling textbooks, or the registrar and the student advisor would handle photo IDs. This seems to make all faculty and staff easier to approach and creates a very comfortable atmosphere for our incoming freshman.

Andrew--

This is great that you include your administration in the orientation ... I especially like the way you 'mix them up' from where you would typically find them. That makes it more fun for everyone involved.

Susan

We have our new students divide into 4 groups during Orientation. 4 staff members guide each group from the Library/Learning Center, Student Finance, and to a Steps to Success discussion that includes interactive quizzes to determine the learning type.

It seems to be working well, it is fairly new for us next month will be our 3rd time to utilize this proceedure. However, we have students waiting for Orientation to begin in a room alone since there are those that are late, early or right on time. We wait to begin until we think everyone that is coming arrives.

I am very interested in finding a way to have them interact with eachother or with current students while they wait. It seems like a ghost town in the room as they are waiting.

I really like the idea of the interactive quiz, but also agree with you that you need some interaction...could you have current students or alumni in there with them during this time? Or perhaps, take another (assuming you do this at the admissions interview) tour of the facilities while you're waiting for everyone to get there?

Just a couple thoughts.

So many great ideas in these threads. We have a hybrid. We have starts in the 250-400 range so we stagger the schedules and have student groups arrive throughout the morning. They meet with their instructors, then we move the groups from station to station, and end with uniforms and books. It takes about 3 hours total, and the students stay engaged throughout. It used to be 3 hours of sitting in a hall listening to an endless line of people talking. Very boring.

It's a great idea to create stations. It helps students get to know each other and feel a bit more comfortable on that first day. I like to changr the groups several times throughout the day so that there aren't the same people in the same group for that day.

Ted--

Changing up the groups is a great idea. This really helps everyone get to know more people very quickly. Great idea.

Susan

This sounds like a very positive experience for the new students. You keep them busy so there is no down time or time for them to get bored while waiting. Keeping them moving gives a chance to break the monotony of just sitting there and listening to associates talk. I think it also helps familiarize them with their environment and possibly feel more comfortable with the facility on day one.

I think I will suggest this for our next orientation.

I love the idea of moving from station to station. I have watched many prospective college students fidgeting in their chairs during orientation and truly not paying attention to the speakers becaue they are bored. I think adding some movement to the mix could only be helpful.

So many great ideas in this section--I'm writing them all down. We are currently doing the "Sit and Listen" technique, and I can see our brand new students fade in and out...it's really sad.
BUT--I'm out to lead the charge for change. I think we'll combine the scavenger hunt with the stations idea and have them "find" the place to get their badges made, uniforms measured, etc.

This is a great idea. I would be interested to know how many persons comprise the group and how long each session lasts. I will definately suggest this to our Admissions staff.

Orientation should include what they are going to learn.

Dorothy--

I think the group size varies, but generally speaking the smaller the better. Two to five would be my suggestion. This allows them to get to know each other and also is small enough that students can't really just 'float'.

I appreciate your question. The responses here will help me to see what other institutions are doing as far as creating an interactive orientation that will have students involved in the process rather than sitting through the entire list of speakers.

Thanks all.

Perhaps two of the sessions can begin at a different time. In this way there is a group beginning say about every 15 minutes.

Sign In to comment