Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Intervention

Early, Early, Early!!!See a problem developing make a group effort to find the source without embaracing student

Sometimes a successful intervention can come down to even the smallest amount of extra encouragement.

I did find my self at this point last week. I observed a student walking in 20 degree weather with no coat. I ask her if he had a coat. She told me a sweatshirt but left it at home.I wanted to buy here one because i was worried about her. However, there are community centers that provide clothing for the homeless and folks in need. Had I knew of these places, I would of provided her with this information. The next week she did have a coat, thank goodness.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a student come to me and ask me "why is life so hard"? I pulled him aside and gave him some encouragement and later that night he pulled me aside and said "thank you Mr. Anderson, I needed that!"...

I find that my intuition is accurate. I can usually read a troubled students mood. A ginger probe can sometimes elicit more information and help express a caring attitude.

We cannot always look at a student and identify his or her problem but through the students behavior we can identify that something is going on with the student. With a little interventional probing we can identify the problem and offer help to the situation.

Offer to meet with student one on one to find the source before involving others. Some students want do not like the spot light. Be sure to get preapproval from the student

Sign In to comment