Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Modifying the information to a small department

After going through the information in this course I am curious how is it I can put some of these processes into practice with a department of approximately 10 people. Particularly with concern to a possible future crisis being fueled by an unhappy staff member.

Amanda,
The beauty of working with people is the diversity of their background and personalities. Great leaders learn to coach their people and the number doesn't really matter. Team is the key. Your position as a leader requires consistency, honesty, integrity, fairness and a genuine love of your team.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Working with a small staff myself, I think if the staff is engaged in the process, i.e. assigned specific tasks and involved in brainstorming ideas then it helps to create a working environment where everyone feels more a part of the team.

marcia,
Including your people keeps the ownership of a challenge within the team. You also gain trust and integrity by letting your people be part of the decision making process.

Dr. Gary Carlson

It has been my experience that many unhappy staff come from a place of feeling like they are not being heard or valued. Besides being prepared for a crisis, part of preparing is making sure that putting processes in place to make TEAM work more effective, right?

William,
Teamwork is essential to success. When people are heard they get a sense of ownership. This helps them become committed to the process.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Although we are a bit larger this thought has crossed my mind. How can we know who will be where and as many of our superiors are off site who will be in charge. your comment about unhappy employees also brings to mind a few incidents with unhappy students or family of students. We are very lucky where I work and our building security takes it very seriously when we advise them of someone who might be a problem. I am not sure how it would be handled if we were a smaller office with no security.

Susanne,
Size doesn't make a difference when it comes to a crisis. We all need to consider the best measures for safety and creating the plan that goes along with it.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment