Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Effective or Ineffective Management

Some managers believe that it is effective to have employees working on "crisis mode" so things get done Immediately.
What is your view?

Yvonne,
I don't believe this is a good technique. Because when there is a crisis everyone looks at it like another day at work.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I agree. It seems that people become immune to this type of work style. Thanks so much for your reply.

Yvonne,

Thank you, Our ability to succeed at work and in life is our ability to control what we can. The one area we always can control is our behavior.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Dear Yvonne, you are right. Im agree 100% with you. The "crisis management" style combine the micromanagement with the "älways in crisis"style in order to have things done immediately.

Ramon,
If you are in the mode of constant crisis others will not recongnize a real crisis. Most task have a level of priority and should receive the direction with the priority level.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I most certainly agree - if you or an employee is in constant crisis mode then when a real crisis occurs you/they will not be prepared to deal with the situation appropriately. There is certainly a difference between having situational awareness and perceiving every situation as a threat.

Sarah,
Being proactive for a with a crisis plan is important. The variables of security for your people and customers is the plan we must be ready with in of their endangerment.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I don’t think this is always the best approach. I work at a school and I feel that if we were to work in “crisis mode” all the time I think it would negatively affect our students. I believe that sometimes maybe this would be ok but not all the time because what happens then there is a much bigger crisis than “everyday” stuff?

Depending on the nature of the building it might appear to be more productive to having everyone working on "crisis mode" but human nature is not wired to sustain that mode for very long. Employees will get burned out eventually and could possibly even become less productive because they have not had the essential time to process or absorb new information. Employees that function on a level of frenzy and at a high pace develop anxiety and can have health problems. It is well known that stress is the cause of many of the major diseases facing our modern society. Google is a great example of a company whose employees clearly are not in crisis mode all the time and they are very productive. Studies were done to determine how people work best, and when companies implement these more relaxed, supportive, collaborative environments their employees are more loyal and happier.

Another point to make is that if employees are consistently working on "crisis mode" it implies that there may not actually be a crisis but they are working in that mode because they are managed that way. This seems to be a negative thing because it is like "crying wolf." When a real crisis does emerge, I wonder how the employees would act differently.

Beth,
Crisis plans should be reviewed and evaluated regularly. It is not something we should live everyday.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Meghan,
Dangers of being in crisis everyday. We begin to make it a familiar situation when it should be a crisis when it happens.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I think it is completely ineffective to be working in crisis mode at all times. It undermines the mental, physical and emotional health of employees. If the employees are considered a valuable resource why would anyone want to wear them down unnecessarily? Behaving as if every day has a crisis embedded in it would also make people lose perspective and the ability to respond effectively when there truly is a crisis. It would also likely lead to poor morale, burnout, and high turnover, all indicators of an unappealing workplace.

Nancy,

You are absolutely right. People become to a situation of crisis all the time and don't realize when there may be a real crisis. A good crisis plan is essential but you don't live it each day until that day comes.

Gary

Nancy,
I agree, when people are in a crisis mode all the time they don't know when a real crisis is at hand.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I too, work at a school and feel that operating in "crisis mode" continuously is detrimental to everyone; faculty, staff and students. There are so many processes happening on a daily basis that this would only add more stress to everyone. I would welcome anyone to share current processes that are already in place that seem to be working effectively without this crisis mode in place.

I don't agree. Working in crisis mode only puts stress on employees which creates fear and hinders effective productivity in the workplace.

Lauri,
Crisis mode and having a plan is two different situations. Being in crisis mode all the time keeps employees on an unnecessary high alert which in time wear out.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Victoria,
Crisis mode and having a plan is two different things. A plan can be comforting but working day to day in crisis mode only diminishes the crisis when it may come.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I agree with the philosophy that more gets accomplished when the atmosphere is relaxed. How can employees tell when there is an emergency if you are always leading with a chaotic tone? The sympathetic nervous system is meant for short term, occasional stresses, not every day life. Adrenal exhaustion will cost you more turnover, burnout, and headaches in the long run. Urgency is productive and proactive versus the reactive model of crisis.

Sign In to comment