Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Team Particapation

I currently have a member of my team who is pretty self-centered in his thinking and getting him to be a team player and help others has been difficult. I attempted to increase his responsibilities, hoping that it would help create a greater sense of responsibility and teamwork on his part but it did not last long. I have coached for improvement and have only found short-lived success. I feel the failure is mine for being ineffective at finding his motivating force. Any thoughts?

Frank,
You may be too hard on yourself. Sometimes no matter how hard you try you alone can not effect the change. The person must also be willing to change...you can not force it on them.That said, yo might try putting this person in a self directed team. This would take you out of the equation expect for monitoring and evaluation. The team peer pressure(direction) might be a motivating force to change this person's behavior.

Ron Obstfeld

This is a great idea. sometimes a little bit of shift in focus can be beneficial to people with this type of personality. As a team leader focus and approach seem to change for certain individuals

I feel Team participation is so important...this is where new thoughts and ideas originate from. Open discussions seem to always bring things to light. Change is extremely hard for me, so listening to others, helps me to adapt and move forward.

That sounds like a great idea. It's important for everyone to participate and become part of the team. I imagine any team event to be an analogy of a bus breaking down; if a bus breaks down and all the patrons decide to push except for one person who decides not to, it may start a chain reaction where the rest of the patrons decide not to help push the bus. Any method to boost cooperation in the team is imperative for success. I also wonder if your idea has worked on the individual described earlier!

I feel Team participation is so important...this is where new thoughts and ideas originate from. Open discussions seem to always bring things to light. Change is extremely hard for me, so listening to others, helps me to adapt and move forward and I produce a better outcome.

lloyd,

Good approach for you. You should also look for active ways to participate in the conversation as well as any projects. This might help you embrace change more easily.

Ron Obstfeld

Sign In to comment