Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Are you being perceived negatively by students in your classroom?

Are you being perceived negatively by students in your classroom?
After we set aside the hard grader and tough policy enforcement arguments some of which are not entirely valid, we are left with how students perceive us as faculty in chat, email and in the classroom. When we are sharing life-changing and positive advice, our approval ratings are through the roof! But when it comes time to deliver the bad news, many fall short.
- How do you explain why plagiarism is not acceptable, but not viewed as an ogre?

- How do you counsel a student on not giving up but starting class over next session when completion is mathematically impossible based on performance?

- How do you explain to a student that though he/she spent six hours writing an assignment it received a D because it was not on point?

- How do you address late work and incompletes?
Faculty often reverts to a style devoid of emotion and empathy when addressing these serious issues. This may be a strong reason students don't recommend them or feel as though they are not motivating, fair or helpful

Sabrina,

What a great post with so many items to think about. We have to be truthful with a student. I think we make mistakes by "shielding" them from the inevitable. If there are options for change we have to present them but we have to realistic. Also, we have to make sure that we don't routinely use language like "you have a "D" but I gave you a "C"". We don't ever need to give grades; students earn them. Student centered also means student responsible. There are no victims, just poor choices or lack of learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi Kelly: You took the words right out of my head. I'm especially glad you mentioned the part about students having to earn their grades. Too many times people's expectations are raised unrealistically when an instructor says "you earned a D but I gave you a C." To me, that simply says, "If I (the student)complain about it enough, my grade will change." And thanks also for clarifying that student-centered does indeed mean student-responsible

Dr. Vicki,

Student centered is student responsible is my new motto. I had the discussion today that if you do the minimum you will not earn an A. Minimum means average. This can be a shock for some students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As is often the case, it is ALL ABOUT the LIVE CLASSES.

Instructors can address plagiarism, which is often a problem because instructors inadvertently imply that "as long as you don't plagiarize" it makes for a good paper.

Examples about lateness are important. Sharing real-life examples in which being on time is so much better than being late, are essential.

The lack of live classroom intimacy can be a problem in online classes, and that can be neutralized and reversed wonderfully by good, dynamic, enthusiastic, educational live online classes.

Constantinos,

Great point. I do use YouTube clips to address this. I do agree we tend to be a nag instead of an encourager.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

These are great questions, and in ideal world, I would definitely support answering all of them in a way that would be pedagogically best. However, in an online classroom, many times, remaining employed depends on having good student reviews. Students are not inclined to give those if the grades they receive are disappointing, and do not reflect their effort. How would you suggest to bridge these two problems?

Sabahudin,

Itis such an irony. Standards are lowered to achieve student success; it can be a popularity contest. I teach a very difficult writing course and I will NEVER achieve over the top student evaluations. I have been called "hard". I have explained to my chair and in my portfolio that consistently meet my objectives, I pretest to look for student deficiencies and provide resources for them to access, and I provide feedback for the to adjust. I find that when students are away from the course they like it much better than right after they have taken it. You may want to try this suggestion from another student in another online module; have your students at the end of the semester give advice to the next class on what to do to ( and not to do) to succeed in the course. Share that with the next group during orientation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Developing an ongoing relationship with the student based on honest feedback will provide an environment where "bad news" can be delivered almost without effort. If you check in with the student on consistent intervals, and really discuss their work and timeliness of their submissions, there is no surprise.

Rubrics are a good help, and a definition and a full blown discussion of plagiarism at the beginning of a course should help prevent an incident.

If it does occur, a straightforward, matter-of- fact calling out can be expected by the student .

Margaret,

You make a great point. You hope that when there is a problem that you can work with the student to find solutions. That is such a hard lesson to teach any students; we are here to help them learn.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think it is a shock to some students who think they can do the bare minimum and get an A.
The bare minimum is average. Students need to be responsible for their learning as well. It means learning, making an effort, and persevering. These are the skills necessary in life...

Agnes,

That is so true!!!!! I remind my students that doing the minimum is a C at best and that is only if the product has not mistakes.
I remind them when we go over rubrics that minimum can never be a b much less an A
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think for the tough stuff instructors have to be honest and sincere. When students are not doing well I am honest about their performance and try to offer solutions for improvement. Motivation works 80 percent of the time. The other times you have to tell the truth and work towards a solution.

Great questions!
Thank you

Kimberley,

What a great point! I agree with you. You can give encouragement and guidance but when the "hole" is so deep you have to be real. Also, I really worry when students register for courses online and don't have access to a computer. That takes honesty.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This is a challenging matter to face because we tend to think that every student understands the process. However, I have found that this is not necessary common knowledge to every student, particularly if the student is in the program for the "degree" rather than the "education". Being honest and realistic is the only way in which I have been able to handle these types of situations. I've had students ask the question in regards to why deductions were taken on late work. The syllabus, my class rules, and the rubric indicate that deductions are taken for late work, but the student has a perception that their "effort and circumstance" should disregard the need to enforce the late policy, and this is unrealistic. I simply must remind them of the policy, and leave it there. I also agree and am a strong advocate of reminding the students that they "earn" grades. I make it clear in my opening announcement that grades are earned in my class based on the student's work rather than given based on effort and circumstances of the student. This helps me avoid the unrealistic expectations of the students.

Aundrea,

You are so right!!! We do have to make sure students understand the expectations of your online classroom. I find I have be redundant in my explaining expectations throughout the course. I also am trying a small social experiment; I don't say grade anymore I say evaluating their product they turn in. They must make an effort to read the feedback I give them and tell me how they are going to react to it. Its a start!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

This is a very interesting social experiment! It seems that you take the "sting" out of the word "grading" by using the term "evaluating." You may find that this experiment is successful because some students perceive the term "grading" as judgmental (in a negative connotation). The fact is that we are judging their work, but perception weighs heavily in human nature. I think I may try this as well to see how it works. Thanks for sharing the information!

Aundrea,
I know it is a little change but my hope is to get students to think about the feedback not the grade.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment