Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you meet your students?

When a course begins, do you use an icebreaker activity to get to know your students?

Yes , personal introductions

Ice breakers are wonderful!

What type of ice breaker do you use?

In my week 1 discussion, we do an intoductory post where the student shares a little bit about their past and current work experiences.  Also in this weekly post, I ask what topic they feel will be most interesting and most challenging within the course.  This requires them to review the course syllabus, and then share on that topic.  Lastly, I ask them how these topics that we will cover, will apply to their future careers.  I have found that this no only breaks the ice and allows for us to get to know students better, but also pushes them to review the syllabus and think about how it will apply to their future.

I think that it is important to use icebreaker activities are important at the beginning of a class. Ice breaker activites lets you gather information such as structure, ideas, opionions, views, and even personalities which can be great if the professor needs to put students together to work on projects.

I use an activity that allows for more perosnal feelings and/or beliefs. This gives them the comfort level to express themselves and be more interactive than if itwas related to core concepts.

Sign In to comment