Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teaching techniques

As a seasnoed instructor I have had the pleasure of working with many other educators on many levels. I still have a difficult time as a manager in forcing instructors to chasnge their teaching techniques when I know they are not effective. I use student grades to gauge their level of comprehension. Any ideas on how I can make change occurr without insulting another seasoned intructor?

Hi,

This is a challenge. Prior to teaching online, I mentored other instructors and served as dept. chair within the public school system. I found that holding group discussions where we shared strategies for improving teaching techniques worked well. Oftentimes however, there are instructors who need to be directly addressed for specific improvement. Again, suggesting strategies and techniques tended to result in better buy in. Are you able to send them to workshops and conferences that highlight those techniques that you wish to enforce? This could also be an option. It's difficult because as instructors, we feel that we specialize in helping others to learn. We often forget that we too, must sometimes become the student.

All the best!

Paula Bordenkecher

I think the professional development workshops help as well as having mandatory developments course requirements when trying to get seasoned instructors to blend with new technologies and instructional techniques.

It has worked for me over the years...

What do you think?

Jean Graham,  MLA University of Chicago

@asustaita

I agree professional development workshops are a great avenue to share new ideas.

Sign In to comment