Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing the on line classroom

The biggest issue I have seen in the past with this learning platform, is at times the communications between students and instructor is lacking. Also the communications between students may not be as clear as in the traditional ground class.

I enjoy receiving e-mails and IM from students when I least expect them. I feel some students are more prepared for the online course han other students and as a result they are not comfortable with the technology used in our classes.

Mamie,

You are correct, some students are taking the classes because it is the only way they could complete their education and their level of technological competence can play a big role in their success. Therefore, if we see a student struggling with the technology we need to help them with it or get them connected with the appropriate resources and personnel that can help them be successful.

Herbert Brown III

Greetings:

It can be however for me it seems like this has to do a lot with the students. I encourage my students to call me (I give them my cell number), text me, email me or IM me. I tell them if they see me online they can IM me. They do not have to wait for my office hours. I encourage them to reach out. I tell them they can do it on their own but they do not have to do it alone.

Rachelle

Greetings:

If there are tutorials or even YouTube videos that will help the students I make sure I provide that information and resources to them. I also will provide step by step guidance if they need it. I also recommend they contact technical support when needed. I tell them that the bonus of online learning is they are introduced to cutting edge technology.

Rachelle

Mamie:

I encourage students to IM me although not many do. I am surprised at how many students don't contact me. I give them every opportunity however I hear from about 10% of the students each session. The funny thing is the students I do hear from are the ones that are excelling in the class. I find that the students that attend the chats and reach out when they have a question simply do better in the class.

Rachelle

Rachelle,

I have seen many of these trends as well. I see a little higher rates of communication; however, many students just don't want to communicate. Clearly the ones that communicate more often typically do better overall in the course than those that do not. Even a simple email asking to clarify a lesson assignment can help ensure they do better on an assignment.

Herbert Brown III

Rachelle,

That bit of encouragement you give them may be enough to get some of the students to reach out to you. Those that do, are typically more likely to succeed in the course.

Herbert Brown III

Sign In to comment